Need wirring info on swapping 89 motor to 93 shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need wirring info on swapping 89 motor to 93 shell

I have a automatic 1.3 from a 1989 festiva, i was hoping to swap it into my 1993 shell. I was advised that the engines have 2 different types of wiring harness? is this true? What sensors would i need to change on the 89 motor to put it in the 93 frame? i can pull the 89 harness out of the shell but i would like to leave it, just in case i need it for my b6t swap. i was told the 90+ didnt have a vacuum advance dizzy? let me know what i need to do.

Look at the plugs and see if they are compatable.

Comment

are you trying to keep it carb'd or switch to efi? The harnesses have to go with respective systems or you'll have a huge nightmare on your hands. And even then, I think I recall someone trying to use carby harness on a bp and huge failure.

you should thank the person that told you they were different they were right.
      Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

I'd say you need the intake with throttle body, exhaust manifold, and Distributor from an EFI festy for easiest install into your 93 Festiva. Also would need the Vaf and piping.
        Jerry
        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

If the shell was a manual the pos battery cable will be too short because the starter is underneath and reversed on an auto. Also the other starter wire won't reach. There are other harness diffs between my '92 auto and '93 man.

Comment

Originally posted by walth View Post
            are you trying to keep it carb'd or switch to efi? The harnesses have to go with respective systems or you'll have a huge nightmare on your hands. And even then, I think I recall someone trying to use carby harness on a bp and huge failure.

you should thank the person that told you they were different they were right.
            uhhhh guy, the auto '89 IS EFI... and yes the engine harness has to be carried over as well WITH the ECU. the body harness should play nice with the swap as they are mostly separate units.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

meh...minor details

my bad.
              Walth

Comment

NP Chris, i got your back!

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

yeah sorry. I've come down with a pretty strong case of sinusitis. last night was horrid and I've been a bit loopy today.

hot wheels do you have another harness for your b6t? I would just swap it out. that way you don't do double the work later, hypothetically.
                  Walth

Comment

yes its a efi auto going into a efi manual frame. I started to remove the harness cause i knew my luck and figured they wouldn't be pnp, so i disconnected the harness and removed the drivers fender, i was not aware that the headlight harness was part of the main harness. I didnt get a chance to pull the harness through the fire wall yet. Can you give me some insight into what i may have to remove/disconnect? where will the engine harness separate from the body/dash harness? does anyone have any good pictures or wiring diagrams to help me? i took some pictures but i gave up half way through my phone was getting full. Im nervous, unfortunately i can only work on this on the weekends so my memory will fade and i will forget how things go, i pray i can get this all back together.

Comment

I did a complete swap auto to manual and swapped out my 89 auto harness for a 91 manual harness. Festivas have 2 main harnesses 1 for the rear lights, fuel pump and all that jazz and the other is the engine/headlight harness. The dash has a little harness but nothing you should have to mess with. Once you get the engine harness for the engine pulled through the firewall you will see that its connected to the fuse box and a few relays plus the ecu. It isnt a difficult task to swap it over and plug everything back in. Each plug has its own female or male plug that plug into together. Its actually simple of course i have done it a few times. Everything will pretty much lay itself out so you can see where to reconnect everything. Not sure if this any help to you or not but its basically plug and play and within a hour to 2 hours you should have it swapped out and ready to go. people think that swapping harnesses is a nightmare which it isnt as long as you dont hack the harnesses up.

BTW most of the pugs have a matching colored connector.
                      Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 10-06-2011, 09:41 PM.
                      89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                      My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

and along with that ^^ nice post ^^ there is a pretty large grommet separating what's inside from what's in the bay.

when you start messing with the stuff under the dash, it's not critical but I like to start with the furthest plug away and work back towards the ecu, etc. kind of eliminates things as you go and holds it up for you

do you have an EVM? they're all over ebay and usually pretty cheap.
                        Walth

Comment

I would install the motor first and see if you even need to swap harnesses.

Comment

^ he does. 89 efi harness is NOT the same as 90-93.

Comment

Just swap front and rear harnesses from the 90-93. You will also need to swap the fuel pumps out aswell because the 89 has a different plug then the 90-93. since you have the manual seat belts, just tuck the wires away for the seat belt re-tractor motors.
                              89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                              My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Working...
                              X