Subie expert input wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subie expert input wanted

Ive owned my 99rs 2.5 sohc for about 3 months and i had to rebuild it new crank,main bearings, rod bearings, seals, pistons, valves.

my question is this after I ordered my wiseco forged pistons I realized that i had ordered 8:5:1 compression instead of the 9:7:1.. I though that it wouldnt be a big deal since I planned to turbocharge it later on. so I went on built the whole engine and today after adjusting the valves for the first start ive got a sort of knock to it, sounds like a small diesel. could it be detonating with such low compression pistons? what would you suggest doing? thanks for all your help -Dan
    1991 stiva.

poor timing. i would verify your cam timing... 8.7:1 should never ping in that engine.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

timing was dead on but ill recheck again thanks.
      1991 stiva.

Comment

remember you have to adjust for the lack of compression... ADD some ignition timing (if possible).

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

I cant add ignition timing its all electronic, and it is a interference engine so moving a tooth on the cam is out of the question, unless i get a piggy back for ignition timing Im lost lol
          1991 stiva.

Comment

Well I guess im taking it to work since the key was laying on my desk. Ill check the oil before I leave home and before i leave work. I dont think the rattle is a big issue. its a brand new engine that isnt broke in yet and I doubt the rings are seated yet. I may be wrong but fester ran just fine on low compression so I dont see why it would really make any diffrence on subie. With low compression and 93 octane fuel it shouldnt ping from compression being low.
            Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 10-06-2011, 08:01 AM.
            89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
            My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
              Well I guess im taking it to work since the key was laying on my desk. Ill check the oil before I leave home and before i leave work. I dont think the rattle is a big issue. its a brand new engine that isnt broke in yet and I doubt the rings are seated yet.

its not a bearing knock or a valve tap its lighter and more quiet like a detonation knock,,, Idk ill sell it or trade it for a festi

brand new crank, mains,rods, gaskets, new 8.5:1 wiseco forged pistons, new timing set, brakes, and rotors all the way around, new clutch, new valves and seals, clutch master and slave, new tires......lalalalalala lot of money into this thing!!!!

Last edited by daniel_cogar; 10-06-2011, 08:09 AM. Reason: added pic
              1991 stiva.

Comment

If we could work out a payment plan id be more then happy to give ya 3,000 for it. Say 500 a month?

Comment

if you junk it, i'll take the front bumper off your hands :tongue:

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                    if you junk it, i'll take the front bumper off your hands :tongue:
                    LOL i hear ya I wouldn't ever crush it I'm not that mad ill trade it for a Festiva first
                    1991 stiva.

Comment

trade for a festiva huh? i happen to have a few in stock....

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                        trade for a festiva huh? i happen to have a few in stock....

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just playing. if he wants to trade it for a festiva then so be it. I personally love the car but he will do what he wants with it

Comment

i own 3 Justys, i know the love for Subies.... would kill for an RS.

Comment

okay so I figured out the knocking sound,,,, nothing major. now a bigger problem is I was driving it to work it was running fine then at the red light it just kind spuddered like it ran out of gas so I pushed the clutch in and coasted into a wendys parking lot and it wont start, its getting spark and fuel but no fire, all valves are fine no marble or clunk when i try to start it, Im going back tomorrow to check the timing and go from there Im thinking bad mass air flow sensor or bad IAC valve. .....if it wont start tomorrow Ill most likely have it towed home and out of the parking lot
                            1991 stiva.

Comment

Dude I noticed earlier when I was working on it that the plugs were drinched. I wonder if there is something going on with the fuel pressure causing the injectors to not spray fuel but instead just dump a lot in there. I think somehow the engine is getting flooded out, possible caused by the MAF reading wrong? But there wasnt a CEL.. hmmmmm

Comment

Working...
                              X