Engine smoking BAD after rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine smoking BAD after rebuild

I have recently rebuilt the b3 that I put into my festiva and everything has seemed normal so far. Due to the fact that my transmission has been out of order the past few weeks and my poor car was in need of a serious brake job, I have not been able to drive it yet. Well, at the beginning of the week I finally got everything running good so I decided to take her for a spin around the neighborhood. About half way through my lap, my car started pouring smoke out of the back. Today, I borrowed a friends compression tester and all of my cylinders were in the mid 170's. I took it for another lap with the same results, huge cloud of smoke behind me. I let the car idle in my driveway after the ride and it was still producing large amounts of smoke. I shut it down for about 10 minutes and started it back up and there was hardly any smoke at all, even when I rev'ed it up. When I rebuilt the engine, the only thing I did to the head was clean it with some degreaser. I am thinking that the valve seals may be leaking?
    2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
    1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
    1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Very possible, especially if it had been sitting for a few weeks. Good self diagnosis, honestly.

My Girlfriend's 323 emitted smoke after being parked for a few days. Later found out it was the valve seals.
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

generally with valve stems seals i hear that it will only smoke on start up, they leak down when the motor is off, and when you go to start it all the oil will burn, eventually it will clear up and cylce like that after sitting.

Comment

How many miles since the rebuild? Did you take the car out for a spin and properly seat the rings after getting it back on the road?
        If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
        Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by jjk1224 View Post
          I have recently rebuilt the b3 that I put into my festiva and everything has seemed normal so far. Due to the fact that my transmission has been out of order the past few weeks and my poor car was in need of a serious brake job, I have not been able to drive it yet. Well, at the beginning of the week I finally got everything running good so I decided to take her for a spin around the neighborhood. About half way through my lap, my car started pouring smoke out of the back. Today, I borrowed a friends compression tester and all of my cylinders were in the mid 170's. I took it for another lap with the same results, huge cloud of smoke behind me. I let the car idle in my driveway after the ride and it was still producing large amounts of smoke. I shut it down for about 10 minutes and started it back up and there was hardly any smoke at all, even when I rev'ed it up. When I rebuilt the engine, the only thing I did to the head was clean it with some degreaser. I am thinking that the valve seals may be leaking?
          Define the word "Rebuilt". It leaves a lot to our imagination.
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

It might be burning off some solvent used in the clean-up. Run it for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
              How many miles since the rebuild? Did you take the car out for a spin and properly seat the rings after getting it back on the road?
              exactly.

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
              Define the word "Rebuilt". It leaves a lot to our imagination.
              I agree. and how fast were you were revving the engine?

and did you replace all the gaskets?
              Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Also, a leak-down test would say a lot.
                -Zack
                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I'd agree also do a leak down n see how much pressure it holds now.
                  -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Working...
                  X