Are Festiva 1.3L head bolts reusable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Festiva 1.3L head bolts reusable?

Hey guys, first time poster. Does anyone know if Festiva 1.3L head bolts reusable? I recently bought a 88 Festiva as a Father son project and converted it to fuel injection with a Megasquirt ignition and T30 turbo. Needless to say, we quickly blew a head gasket. I had the head surfaced and replaced the head gasket, less that 100 miles later, Ihave another blown head gasket. Are the bolts reusable and if not, where do you buy replacement bolts? Autozone and Advance Auto don't carry them. Thanks for helping a noob!
    1967 GTA 351 Roller GT40
    1988 Festiva LX B5 Turbo, MegaSquirt, Aspire Swap
    2008 Sport Trac Adrenalin
    2013 Escape 2.0 EcoBoost

Governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established.

--JEFFERSON DAVIS

they are reuseable, what are you torqueing them to? are you allowing the head to seat before adding boost? and what boost pressure are you running?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm using a T3/T4 turbo at 8 pounds of boost. I'm new to turbos and to 4 cylinders in general. I torqued the bolts to 82 pounds... that's as far as I was willing to risk it since the stock setting is 56 to 60. I'm afraid I'll warp the head or break a bolt if I go any further. The MegaSquirt is also being a real pain when cold starting. In retrospect, I should have started with a Fuel injected car, but too far into it now

Do you think the turbo is too big for the B3?
      Last edited by FoMoCoMotion; 10-11-2011, 07:52 PM.
      1967 GTA 351 Roller GT40
      2013 Escape 2.0 EcoBoost

Governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established.

--JEFFERSON DAVIS

Comment

Have you tried torquing to factory specs. Thats the one thing that seems out of place here

Comment

Yes, the first replacement was done to factory specifications, two step torquing 35-40, then 55-60 with a FelPro gasket. The head was also surfaced before reinstalling. The 2nd time, I tried to find new head bolts but when I couldn't, I re-used the OEM bolts and increased teh torque. Any ideas or suggestions? Too much boost for such a tiny engine?
          1967 GTA 351 Roller GT40
          2013 Escape 2.0 EcoBoost

--JEFFERSON DAVIS

Comment

Of course you're cleaning the mating surfaces well with acetone or brake clean. As well as idling the engine for a while to melt the surface of the gasket material before any hard driving?
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Did you have the head check for cracks when you had it resurfaced? Did you scar any part of the mating surfaces during dismantling/reassembling? Are you getting coolant in the oil or anything along those lines or just loosing compression?

Comment

Yes, clean with brake cleaner, both head and block and heat cycled twice before leaning on it at all.
                1967 GTA 351 Roller GT40
                2013 Escape 2.0 EcoBoost

--JEFFERSON DAVIS

Comment

A t3/t4 is rather large for a b3, how is the spool? On 8psi with a turbo that large you are moving some serious cfm. I've always been a proponent of large turbos because they can make much more power safely, than a small turbo on the same psi.

I wouldn't think overtorquing the head bolts would help, and actually may be actually be compounding the problem. I would install another gasket and stay out of boost until it is properly heat cycled the retorque. are the plugs or pistons showing any signs of detonation? A small fueling, or timing error can make a big difference in knock.

Don't give up on the megasquirt yet, once you get the bugs worked out you will be glad you didn't use the factory injection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by rollertoaster; 10-11-2011, 08:43 PM.

Comment

I haven't gotten on it since installing the 2nd head gasket. I'll drive it around gently for a week or so first and make sure I have the MegaSquirt sorted out. The cold start there is currently kicking my butt. The only way I can start it cold is to prime it first. Once warmed up, it starts easily.
                    1967 GTA 351 Roller GT40
                    2013 Escape 2.0 EcoBoost

--JEFFERSON DAVIS

Comment

If I continue to have trouble with the head gaskets... I may look into a BP or BPZE swap. Probably about the same performance as the B3 with a turbo... I'll miss the oh so cool sound between shifts though
                      Last edited by FoMoCoMotion; 10-11-2011, 08:54 PM.
                      1967 GTA 351 Roller GT40
                      2013 Escape 2.0 EcoBoost

--JEFFERSON DAVIS

Comment

Working...
                      X