No announcement yet.

What is this sensor and why is it ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this sensor and why is it ....

leaking oil? It is on the back of the engine above and to the left of the oil filter....oh....it is on the B6T,

"FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Knock sensor. Not leaking oil. Its filled with some sort of resin
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
      Knock sensor. Not leaking oil. Its filled with some sort of resin
      ok....but it is dripping oil from inside it...not a lot but it is.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Sounds good to me.
        Last edited by Flyin4stroke; 10-09-2011, 10:35 PM.
        1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

All of them deteriorate this way at some point or another, not sure what it is in it that melts out.

The sensor is supposed to be isolated from oil via the head gasket, perhaps it's something that happens when a small amount of oil seeps thru
          1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
          High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
          Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

IIRC the port that the sensor screws into is dry (not an oil pressure port). the "fluid" you see may be an internal iso-fluid for the sensor itself.

i have NEVER seen a knock sensor linked to any fluid port on any engine and having one do so would make 0 sense as the noise from the oil would cushin the noise and distort it.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

that is the oil pressure sensor, controls the Oil warning light in your control panel.

Comment

Nope....its the knock sensor. The oil pressure sender is just below it with the spade connector.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Brad is correct
                  1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                  High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                  Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Knock sensor we cleaned m3ntals out with electronic cleaner spray let it dry and then filled with silicone and let it dry it looked brand new !
                    93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
                    RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
                    RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                      Nope....its the knock sensor. The oil pressure sender is just below it with the spade connector.
                      mmmm, i learn something every day, it looked like the oil presure sensor

Comment

the oil pressure sensor on a festy looks like the B6T knock sensor because it's just an "on-off" switch style (closed with a minimum pressure of 4-6psi) and it controls the idiot light. the one on a capri is a swing style that sends a signal to a sweep style gauge.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                        X