Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Several things to fix, several questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several things to fix, several questions.

Alrighty.

Recent fixes:

Used gas tank installed
    Rear hubs
    New tires
    New left rear bearing

1990 Ford Festiva L-Plus Auto

I have several things going at once, so I have a lot of questions.

Fuel gauge does not work. Have tightened rear screws (all screws behind instrument cluster), checked sending unit floaty-thingy, meter fuse looks okay. No dice yet, and am wondering what to try next.

Temp gauge doesn't work, which scares me a bit. Bought an after-market gauge, but it's ugly and don't really want to use it unless I 100% have to. Don't even know where to mount the darn thing.

Check Engine light comes on randomly (for maybe 2-5 minutes tops), originally thought it was because a short in the radiator fan switch (P.O. put in a switch inside the car instead of replacing whatever it is that turns it on automatically), and someone helped me rig the switch up correctly, even put it beside the steering wheel instead of on the floor. Also want the temp gauge working so I don't have to have the fan on 100%. This is a Festiva, and I want my fuel savings. There isn't a cat on it and am wondering if it could be an emissions issue.

Only did this a few times, maybe three: acceleration cuts out for half a second, only when coming from a slow or dead stop. Down the highway it has quite a bit of pep and the transmission shifts smoothly from there. Once after this the Check Engine light came on again.

I'm sure there's something else... oh, well. One thread at a time.

~Spike
    Last edited by Spike; 10-10-2011, 04:39 PM.
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

I had 'check engine' light come on just after the car warmed up 10 km down the road last spring. Once I got home and out of the rain it turned out to be a loose oxygen sensor wire connection. Haven't seen that light on since.

Comment

I have checked the temp sender? If you ground the wire the temp gauge should move if the gauge works.

sent from my EVO hacked with Vaelpak GB AOSP with Tiamat 3.3.7 Kernel
      First time owner
      89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
      Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

problems

fuel gauge,is probably bad fuel sender.check gauge,for electrical signal,or replace sender. or used tank ,baffle,could be bent. temp gauge.check any electrical connections,from engine. replace temp sender that screws into thermostat housing. engine light ,when it comes on,can be checked,with a computor,by a mechanic. or could be a loose or dirty wire connection. get a can of spray contact cleaner,and clean all wire connections. then,get some paint thinner,and a couple rags,and wipe down as much,of engine,as u, can.
        u,might need a fan relay,and switch,as well .try and afford,new parts,rather than used. luck,dude. mdoyleufo@gmail.com:eeeeeek:

Comment

My '93 FSM has the troubleshooting steps for both the gauges. There are some for sale on ebay cheaper than what I paid. Haynes doesn't cover it.

Comment

I wired my rad fan and mounted it in an empty space behind my steering wheel

It works well, it is still fused and now I can just turn it on/off when I need.

Have you given your car a tuneup? Filters (air,fuel), Spark plugs, sea foam

Let me know if you need any parts or anything I'm from Columbus so I'm pretty close to you
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
            The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

^ That's pretty much what mine looks like, I'll upload a picture after work tomorrow.

I changed plugs, wires, SeaFoam'd it. Fresh antifreeze, hopefully oil change next week. Haven't had money or time for filters yet, but it'll be soon.

Might just return that aftermarket temp gauge and buy a FSM. I need one pretty bad with how much I love this car now.

Plus, if I have a FSM.. I won't have so much trouble figuring out where these parts everyone's talking about are.

Thank you very much for your offer, Charlie!

~Spike

EDIT: Ooo, forgot I found that Scribd 1991 Festiva manual link. I could just look at that.

And still return that ugly gauge and get me a Haynes.
              Last edited by Spike; 10-10-2011, 09:51 PM.
              White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
              White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
              1988 LX 5-speed
              ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Working...
              X