Clutch cable compatibility: Festy/Aspire/Rio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch cable compatibility: Festy/Aspire/Rio

I broke a clutch cable last Friday. None to be had (Aspire or Festy: same part number!) or even back-ordered anywhere in this entire Province/Country so I took a gamble and scavenged the cable assembly from a Kio Rio (build date 8/01) this morning. It's now installed in the Festy and by gosh it works!

No sooner was that cable in place this afternoon and UPS dropped off a parcel from Rock Auto USA that contains a Festy cable in it. My first ever dealings with R.A. and I have to say their international service is/was fantastic. Too bad shipping cost more than the part. If someone in Canada wants, or needs, a new cable call me. Shipping and purchase was still cheaper than CTC, NAPA (would they have found one).

Attached pictures are of 'cooked' Festy cable complete, Rio cable complete and new Festy cable minus the usual knickknacks. The Rio cable is slightly longer and has a cute rubber damper arrangement which fits nicely in the Festy clutch fork but I'm into simplicity and omitted it.
    Kia has done it's homework; it is much easier getting at the interior clutch cable in Rios than it is in Festys. I wound up undoing the pedal in the Festy and also removing the clutch electrical switch just so as to see and be able to get tools in there. Had no problems at all with the Rio.

Sorry, top to bottom on the first picture is Rio/Festy/Festy. The fittings and brackets are easy to change.

Comment

Very few viewers seem to have noticed my posting of early this week. With these cables no longer being stocked for Festys and Aspires in Canada (I tried everywhere) this should be good news for cheapskates and/or Canadians.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
        Very few viewers seem to have noticed my posting of early this week. With these cables no longer being stocked for Festys and Aspires in Canada (I tried everywhere) this should be good news for cheapskates and/or Canadians.
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

What's the difference between an Aspire clutch cable and a Festy cable? Why isn't more stuff swappable?!
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I realize E-bay and other sources can provide hard to find parts but when a cable breaks you don't want to be sitting around with a dead car awaiting Canada Post to deliver something up to 3-4 weeks later. Now you can visit the wrecker, call a Kia dealer or order a Rio cable at NAPA etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
              I realize E-bay and other sources can provide hard to find parts but when a cable breaks you don't want to be sitting around with a dead car awaiting Canada Post to deliver something up to 3-4 weeks later. Now you can visit the wrecker, call a Kia dealer or order a Rio cable at NAPA etc.
              How much faster is that actually gonna be? Why not have it come to the door? All those sources EXCEPT the JY are just gonna order your part anyway right? Does it really take 3-4 weeks to get a letter in Canada? If thats so,I'll never complain about my mail lady anymore!
              Last edited by nitrofarm; 10-16-2011, 06:52 PM.
              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

bert...you think the aspire cable will work with a stock festiva bracket? I've never really looked at the cable / bracket etc so idk what all goes into it. I know it's not listed above. it's in your title so I'm sure you were expecting to get that far. anyone know?

I love compatibility threads and knowing what all is useable in the JY's! just curious about that aspire cable cuz I need to get one for my auto-to-mtx gray car swap.
                Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Walth: Aspire and Festy cable were the same part number at many places I called. The mounting brackets don't come with the new cable nor do the cylinder-shaped washer and adjustment nut. Re-use the old ones; they slip on and off easy enough. Wire brush the threads and use penetrating oil before you try to undo the stuff at the front of the car.
                  My cable failed because the accordion-shaped protective boot broke and water got into the housing and slowly corroded the cable. A few drops of gear oil down the cable from the back before installation is probably a good idea since it isn't a 5 minute job to hook the whole thing up nor remove the old one from under the dash.

Comment

Working...
                  X