High Idle Under Electrical Load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Idle Under Electrical Load

The car is an 88L. Actual mileage is unknown, the odometer didn't work when i got it. Idle is fine once it warms up. With the headlights or blower turned on it jumps up to around 2k rpm. Turn the lights off and then back on it stays down where it should be. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.
    2011 Kia Forte Koup
    2007 Sea-Pro 196 CC with Mercury Verado 150hp
    1993 Ford Bronco 351/E4OD
    1988 Festiva L 4 speed

1. Once it warms up the O2 sensor comes on and the computer starts to regulate the air/fuel mix. When was the last major tune-up? Try cleaning out the carburettor with spray carburettor cleaner?

2. The idle speed normally increases when the lights are turned on to generate extra current. 2k sounds high.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

there is a screw on the driver side of the carb facing the firewall near the base. that's your idle compensator screw. back it off untill the idle kicks up 200 rpm with an electrical load.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I did new plugs, cap, rotor, wires, water pump, timing belt, cam seal, crank seal about 8-10k miles ago. I will try cleaning out disty cap.

I will adjust the idle compensation.

Hope it fixes it, I'll let you guys know.
        2011 Kia Forte Koup
        2007 Sea-Pro 196 CC with Mercury Verado 150hp
        1993 Ford Bronco 351/E4OD
        1988 Festiva L 4 speed

Comment

Working...
        X