CV boot repair help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV boot repair help

My 90 L plus on the right side outer cv boot is bad. Can a guy just take that outer joint apart or do you have to do the inner apart and slide it down. Do they make a split boot for this. Winterset Ia Thank You Steve

Split boots are NOT worth the time/money.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by steve mount View Post
      My 90 L plus on the right side outer cv boot is bad. Can a guy just take that outer joint apart or do you have to do the inner apart and slide it down. Do they make a split boot for this. Winterset Ia Thank You Steve
      the outer boot can be fixed easy enough...the inside would be a bigger problem but not impossible ...I have seen the boots for sale on ebay and at auto parts stores.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

The only way I found to easily do it was by taking the inner CV joint off (one C-clip), sliding off the good inner boot, removing the balancer, then putting the outer boot on. It's actually all quite easy and straightforward to do. Just use zip ties to reinstall everything, including the balancer, if you can't or don't want to use the metal bands. Only "special" tool is a C-clip remover.

Tip 1: note which way the inner cup and inner CV align. Make a mark on the outside of the inner cup and also somehow on the CV itself, so you put it back together exactly the same way, i.e. with the bearings going into the same third of the cup that they came out of. This is because the individual thirds of the inner CV joint might wear differently. Similar to the concept of not mis-matching worn bearings and races.

Tip 2: note how the balancer is oriented, so you put it back on the same way. Zip-tie here too.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Got the boot is there a snap ring on that outer joint. Or what holds it together.

Comment

The outer joint will come off. It is held on with a circlip. I do all my CV boots now that i found out how to do it. I try to get them changed before they rip open. If I see deep cracks they get changed. It makes cleaning and re-greasing alot easier. Pro shops use a boot gun that stretches the boot over the joint, but that makes it too easy. I mount the axle in a vise. Remove the old boot. Clear away some of the grease.........wait, dejavu ..

Here it is a quick search popped it up on page 13. discussed in '09.

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Use a brass punch and a small 3-5 lb. sledge.
            '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
            '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
            '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
            '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
            '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
            '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
            '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
              Split boots are NOT worth the time/money.
              True.
              '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
              '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
              '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
              '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
              '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
              '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
              '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Working...
              X