Festiva won't start, what do I check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva won't start, what do I check

I'm going to start from scratch on diagnosing my 1990 Festiva L. I installed a rebuilt motor and the car will only crank & crank. Can I get input from the group on what specifically I need to check out so I can narrow down the cause of the issue? The car was running before I removed the engine and rebuilt it.
    Chad
    1990 Tiva L - Yellow
    1995 Metro - SOLD...
    2002 F150 FX4 - Black
    1966 Galaxie 500XL - Black

Make sure you are getting gas. Then check to see if you are getting spark thru the plugs. If no spark, check to see if you are getting spark from coil. If so, then check your distributor and timing. Those would be main items to check.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Well do you hear fuel pump
      Ck spark
      Ck timing ,belt etc .
      Most often !!!
      1 Plug wires run backwards as in dizzy cap is # 1 cylinder . It's not ,start from belt for #1 ,I've done this
      2 Timing belt one mark up . Well there is two . One straight up and the other at 3 o'clock
      3 Engine isn't completely assembled . Plug in the vaf and connect air tube .
      4 Fuel lines backwards !!
      I'm banking on fuel lines !!! I've done this as well !!
      New build on the way .

Comment

Thanks. I will check those items. The order to check them is also important.
        Chad
        1990 Tiva L - Yellow
        1995 Metro - SOLD...
        2002 F150 FX4 - Black

Comment

How do I check the fuel pump if it only comes on during cranking?
          Chad
          1990 Tiva L - Yellow
          1995 Metro - SOLD...
          2002 F150 FX4 - Black

Comment

If it comes on at all, you should be fine.

Check to make sure your fuel lines are correct. The line from the fuel filter goes to the fuel pressure regulator on the rail. The return line connects to the fuel return that's a few inches lower, closer to the firewall.

Even if your VAF isn't connected, it should run for a second or two. You've got no sputter at all, so I'm assuming a spark problem. Check connections to the distributor (camshaft position sensor) and your coil/plug wires.
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I take it you have a mechanical pump and are carburated. You should be able to look into the carb and push throttle down and see if it squirts gas into bowl. If not, take line off at carb, put into a container and crank over to see if you getting gas. If so, then check plugs for spark, if no spark, check wire from coil to dizzy to see if your getting spark from coil. Check timing, could be off tooth or two.
              01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Fuel injected. 5spd.

What if I do not hear fuel pump?
                Chad
                1990 Tiva L - Yellow
                1995 Metro - SOLD...
                2002 F150 FX4 - Black

Comment

Take fuel line off injector body and crank to so if you are getting gas. If not, check the little switch in back on drivers rear fender to see if it has popped and reset it. If it is ok, check fuel line before filter, filter could be clogged.
                  01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by chadzeilenga View Post
                    Fuel injected. 5spd.

What if I do not hear fuel pump?
                    This can be a normal situation. Its hard to hear it while cranking. The easy way to do this is hold the VAF flapper open 1/2 way while key is in "RUN" position. There is a failsafe built in to fuel pump. It WONT run momentarily in the "RUN" postiton like some cars. If you do this and hear the pump run. THEN pull the fuel line going to injector rail and look for fuel. But you havent even varified spark yet right? That comes first.
                    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

sometimes the main line from the coil to the center of the disty cap gets knocked off and will crank and crank but no go. I did that once

I tell you what. quick test for spark and no gas. spray carb cleaner or starting fluid down at the breather inlet behind the passenger headlight. try to get it into the air box. then try to run the car. if it runs for 3-4 seconds and shuts off then it is a fuel issue. if it only cranks and cranks then it's spark and possibly still fuel.
                      Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

I am getting spark at 4 plugs and out of the coil.
                        I do not hear pump turning on.
                        The fuel lines are hooked up with the line from filter going into fuel rail and return line lower and closer to firewall.
                        I do not get fuel out of line from filter when I crank the engine.
                        Chad
                        1990 Tiva L - Yellow
                        1995 Metro - SOLD...
                        2002 F150 FX4 - Black

Comment

make sure the wiring connector to the VAF is plugged in well and that none of the pins are bent.

I think the inertia switch has already been called...but you can slap it with a screw driver or something and it'll pop up. push it back down.

it could be in the VAF, the fuel pump relay under the dash, the fuel pump, inertia switch. You can try to bang on the floor a bit under the back seat. maybe get lucky and get the pump to do something / free up. I would think it's your fuel pump but check the above first probably.
                          Walth

Comment

The VAF on the airbox is plugged in, but I will check on the connection to be sure.

Where is the inertia switch?

I will also try to free up the pump. Strange that it would go out while the car was sitting waiting for motor to be put back in.
                            Chad
                            1990 Tiva L - Yellow
                            1995 Metro - SOLD...
                            2002 F150 FX4 - Black

Comment

who knows man. my pump did some funky stuff too. drove it home for FMIV and packed it up and it wouldn't start. missed the meet and didn't drive it for a few weeks. then it ran great for a month then it started up again. did that a total of 3 times. left me stranded the 3rd time. after that I replaced the pump. I didn't know what was going on.

how much gas do you have in the tank?

oh, and btw, did you spray ether/carb cleaner/starting fluid to make sure everything runs, etc? I would make sure it runs great for 3-4 seconds before you tear into the tank, etc.

the inertia switch is below the drivers side back seat belt. you'll have to take out the panel I believe. I don't recall there being a trap door but I don't have those panels in my car anymore so I don't recall.
                              Walth

Comment

Working...
                              X