No announcement yet.

Marks marks to look at for timing belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marks marks to look at for timing belt?

I have ordered a service manual but hasn't arrived and am in very much needing to replace the timing belt. What is the procedure as for as having cylinder #1 on tdc. Does it need to be on the compression stroke on TDC?

What marks should i be looking for on the crank and cam and where should they be aligned/pointing to?

THanks for all the help.

Tried to search the forums but couldn't find exactly what i needed.

Michael

Plus, do I have to take off the main crank bolt with a 21mm wrench. I tried and couldn't get that bolt out.

Any tips?

Michael

Comment

here you go, just line up the marks tighten the tensioner and GO

03 Chevy S-10 Extreme-4.3
      92 Ford Festiva GL-to be determined
      92 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon-5.7

Comment

and no on the crank it has 4 10mm bolts around the big center bolt, just take those 4 out and the pully comes off leaving the timing gear firmly in place
        03 Chevy S-10 Extreme-4.3
        92 Ford Festiva GL-to be determined
        92 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon-5.7

Comment

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

that thread I posted is a good read
          Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Originally posted by Lmcclure View Post
            and no on the crank it has 4 10mm bolts around the big center bolt, just take those 4 out and the pully comes off leaving the timing gear firmly in place
            On my Aspire w/AC, I had to remove the crank bolt, because the deep-dish AC pulley wouldn't come out otherwise--the bolt head kept it trapped in there, due to very little clearance with the frame. If I didn't have AC, then just removing the four 10mm bolts would have worked.

I got the crank bolt off by jamming a prybar in the flywheel teeth. Did the same to tighten it, so I could use my torque wrench on the crank bolt.
            Last edited by TominMO; 10-19-2011, 11:11 PM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

you can also bump the starter to break it free, using the ground to act as a pivot. but not so much for tightening.
              Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Would it be a good idea to go ahead and replace the front main seal while I have everything off? Would this require removing the crank bolt?

Comment

Originally posted by michaelmiller85 View Post
                  Would it be a good idea to go ahead and replace the front main seal while I have everything off? Would this require removing the crank bolt?
                  Yes, replace the front crank seal. The bolt needs to come off to get the lower timing belt sprocket off, so you can get at the seal.

Might as well replace the camshaft seal too, while you're at it.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Pulled the pulley off on the crank but it looks like the crank bolt is preventing me from getting to be able to take the belt off, unless i dropped the oil pan.

Comment

Working...
                    X