Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you adjust the fast idle?

Hi,

I have an '89 carburated Festiva and the fast idle speed is really excessive. (In other words, you don't need to give it gas when starting from a stop).
    It goes back to normal when the car warms up, but today the speed was starting to worry me.

Does anyone know how to adjust this?

Thanks

My EFI car is doing it as well now that its getting cold, but my O2 sensor needs replaced first, I'm getting a code 17.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Your IAC. [idle air control] could be giving you some trouble, remove, clean, reinstall and re-adjust, i cleaned mine this week and now it idles fine.
      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

carbs dont have an IAC...

your fast idle is a choke issue, lube your linkage first and inspect the red wire that goes from the choke to the alt and look for 12 on that line.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thats right my error, but it may help Larry.
          Last edited by sc72; 10-29-2011, 09:48 AM.
          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Kick the gas pedal three times to set the choke before turning over the starter and again 10 seconds after the engine fires up to realease the choke again. Also plug in the block heater for and hour or so in cold weather if you have one. You don't give your location. Block heaters were factory installed in cars sold in Canada.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Used to be an option on a Ford in the States, one of the cheapest ones, like around $20 .

Comment

Working...
              X