Tire pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire pressure

The car didn't feel right going down the road, it seemed like the wheels had gone out of balance. The tires looked OK but I checked the pressure anyway. They were all down 5-10 lbs. There had been a sudden 15* temp drop recently and I think that's what caused the situation. The Festy is so light that the drop in tire air pressure didn't change the look of them much.

Yeah that happens, i had a car tyre completely deflate once overnight from the temperature drop.
    93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
    98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
    98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

Comment

Here in Ottawa the temperature ranges between 30C in summer and -20C in winter and the pressure does not change by more than 2lb. I'd say you both have other issues.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Older the tires and bigger the swing the more you'll loose. The Escapes lose 5lbs every couple weeks the Festiva's is newer and looses less than 2 in that time.
        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Here's an article from Tire Rack:

From the article:

"The rule of thumb is for every 10° Fahrenheit change in air temperature, your tire's inflation pressure will change by about 1 psi (up with higher temperatures and down with lower).

In most parts of North America, the difference between average summer and winter temperatures is about -50° Fahrenheit...which results in a potential loss of about 5 psi as winter's temperatures set in. And a 5 psi loss is enough to sacrifice handling, traction, and durability!"

Tire volume from small to large tires may have an effect as well.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

The tpms check tire light always comes on in the wife's minivan about this time of year.

Comment

Working...
            X