Tranny fill plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny fill plug

Okay guys, I am trying to locate the plug for filling the tranny with gear oil. Where is it at? I pulled one of the axles and lost over a pint of fluid and need to replace it.

A little history on me. I'm having trouble finding it due to my mobility problem...My back is fused and I have a couple of steel rods in my spine so I have a little bit of a hard time trying to bend (can't) around and see things.

Well you have add via the speedometer cable connection at the trans.. unscrew the speedo pull it off, take the 10mm bolt off then twist a little back and forth and it will pull out..

Comment

Thanks!! I hate to say this but after all my looking that is exactly what I was planning to do. I just figured someone on this site would say something different.
      Thanks again,
      WW

Comment

WAIT!!!

no gear oil!!!!!!!!!!!!

transmission fluid, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

AND............

here is where you do it:

Comment

Re: Tranny fill plug

Originally posted by WWhunter
            A little history on me. I'm having trouble finding it due to my mobility problem...My back is fused and I have a couple of steel rods in my spine so I have a little bit of a hard time trying to bend (can't) around and see things.
            How many are fused? I had L5-S1 done, but the hardware is now removed, then I have an artificial disk for L4.
            Thats the reason I got the Aspire, easy and economical. I started working on cars at 16, I can't stop now.
            I finally got a degree in auto mechanics, then my back went out shortly thereafter. :x
            97 Ford Aspire 2dr 5 sp
            92 Isuzu Impulse 1.8 5 sp 140HP, handling by Lotus, balls by Isuzu.
            95 Mitsubishi Expo 2.4
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...64/xsext2a.jpg

Comment

I also have a bad back.
              snomobile accedent and i have 3 broken vert and as of now alot of diclofenac keeps me bending.
              really sucks as befor i could bench 495 and push 1410 with my legs.
              thats pounds ....
              I am now 32 and fill my life with all the things my parents used to worry about.
              nice to see a new member .
              all the people here are super nice and will always help you out.
              from what i see they have your answer pegged.
              talk to you later

welcome

shayne

Comment

Originally posted by mechanicaldj
                WAIT!!!

no gear oil!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone know why the manual trans needs dextron? my festiva i recently sold had gear oil in it when i changed it....is it THAT bad?
                90 L FI..second B3
                90 L Parts car
                Jay

Comment

Originally posted by studdyhalllooser
                  Originally posted by mechanicaldj
                  WAIT!!!

no gear oil!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone know why the manual trans needs dextron? my festiva i recently sold had gear oil in it when i changed it....is it THAT bad?
                  Gear oil will not hurt it, If you live in a cold climate you may want to use the Mercon, gear oil doesn't like cold. Ford likes Mercon for some reason, its like my Isuzu Impulse and the Geo Storm, same motor and transmission, yet GM calls for a special fluid, and Isuzu calls for motor oil. I had an 88 Ranger, it called for Mercon, I used semi syn gear oil until I sold it at 210,000 miles.
                  Different manufacturers like to push their own fluid. Look up a 91 Mazda 323, it says gear oil or Mercon. If you want some good stuff try Redline MTL or Pennzoil synchromesh, its good but pricey.
                  97 Ford Aspire 2dr 5 sp
                  92 Isuzu Impulse 1.8 5 sp 140HP, handling by Lotus, balls by Isuzu.
                  95 Mitsubishi Expo 2.4
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...64/xsext2a.jpg

Comment

For the guys that asked about the back injury. I went under a semi and was layed up for over 18 months....bummer. Fused T6-T12. Plus had many other broken bones and internal injuries. Ruptured spleen, collapsed lung etc...

As for the fluid that was in the tranny....it was gear oil that leaked out. I don't think I need to worry about it getting cold enough for it to be hard shifting as I am currently living in Hawaii. I just refilled it with gear oil. I also removed the shifter and linkage yesterday and shimmed all the loose parts up. It was VERY sloppy and now almost feels like a new one. By the way I paid $100 for the car because the clutch was out. I now have a grand total of around $250 in it.

Thanks guys for all the replies. Especially the photos of the fill level.

Thanks,
                    Keith

Comment

since we are on knd of the same subject i recently replaced my transmission in my 89 four speed festiva and now the speedometer doesn't work, the cable apears to be hooked up, any ideas

Comment

^^Did you make sure the little earsof the cable went into the slots before screwing it down?

Did you detach it from the instrument cluster?

If you did, did it snap on when you put it back on?

Comment

Working...
                        X