brake line size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake line size?

Does anyone know what size the brake line fittings are that screw into the distribution block thingy on the firewall? I need to replace the hard line that goes to the right front brake. I assume its a metric size but don't know what it is.

I think most brake lines are universally 1/8" but if you cut a little section off and take it to azone or advance they can hook you up with the right size just by comparing them. Good Luck!
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

The brake line fittings you want are the Japanese metric.
      Brake line fittings come in three sizes, non-metric, European metric, and Japanese metric.
      Naturally, Japanese metric is the most expensive.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks for the help, I was hoping to buy a new line before I hacked rusty old one off. But I may have to get everything apart to match it up.

Comment

Crankworm, the brake lines are 3/16" steel. Use a double flare tool to form the ends if you use unfinished tubing. You should be able to borrow the tool from an auto parts store. Be sure to practice some on spare line first so you get the hang of it.

You could also take in the whole old line section and get a finished new line (flared on both ends with the connectors on it) that matches the length as close as possible.

Also FYI, FI model fuel and fuel return lines are 5/16" and the vapor line is 1/4". When I rebuilt Aqua I used all steel tubing for all the hard lines I replaced.

It would be a good idea to carefully check your other brake lines as well! Our cars are getting old.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Advance Auto has it in various lengths (never exactly the right one). It's the one that a 10mm wrench fits on.

Comment

Inline Tube is in Michigan.
              I'm sure they can fix you up with the right stuff.

Comment

"The right stuff" looks like rear axle brake lines!! Those look stainless, too. Am I right?

However, I couldn't find any Festiva brake line stuff in their catalog. What gives?

Karl
                Last edited by Safety Guy; 11-07-2011, 06:06 PM.

Comment

You are correct. Just send in your old line, and they will make you a new one. I guess Festivas aren't as popular as Mustangs and Camaros.

Comment

I'm thinking next time I do all hard lines, I could just send in the sections that are horribly hard for me to copy myself, which shouldn't be more than three to four feet long total. Should be able to box them up okay that way. Then I can do the more or less straight sections myself and connect them together.

The worst spot seemed to be where all the lines (fuel, fuel return, vapor, and two brake lines) went from the engine compartment down between the crossmember and body. The other hard place was where they went up to the fuel tank. But I wouldn't mind having the front brake lines and the axle lines done too. Especially in stainless steel!

The NAPA compression fittings worked fine, as they said they would. I may use those again.

Karl

Comment

I found fixed length brake line with the fittings already on much cheaper than buying the line and fittings seperately. When replacing all the brake line on my car I only had to cut and flare two pieces near the gas tank to shorten them. The rest were replaced with fixed length.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Make sure you have someone check for leaks while you push on the brake pedal. When I tested my all new hard line system I had two or three leaks from fittings I didn't tighten enough. Simple fix though. I was amazed my whole brake system worked!

Karl

Comment

thanks for the help everyone. The right front caliper was sticking but it releases when I open the bleeder valve so I'm replacing the hose and hard line. Thinking that the hose has swelled or collapsed inside. On a side note the front brake hoses for a 1992 MX3 appears to be almost identical and its in stock at the parts store chains

Comment

^^^FAIL^^^ The MX3 brake hose will NOT fit the festiva ^^^FAIL^^^

Comment

Working...
                            X