Eletrical Issue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eletrical Issue!

I just did a heart transplant from my 91 gl into a 93 l, now i've got everything mounted and plugged in, double checked everything against my complete and running 91, [B]ISSUE IS:[B] when I connect my battery cables to the battery its sparking and makes the main jumper wire on the box mounted to the drivers strut tower smoke like crazy. Everything is grounded properly and this is still happening, what did I do wrong? the only thing I didn't hook up the same was the alternator,I didn't put that plastic ring that sits next to the housing back on I just slid on the first nut then the wire and followed it up with the second nut, could this be my problem?

Originally posted by robmac View Post
    I just did a heart transplant from my 91 gl into a 93 l, now i've got everything mounted and plugged in, double checked everything against my complete and running 91, [B]ISSUE IS:[B] when I connect my battery cables to the battery its sparking and makes the main jumper wire on the box mounted to the drivers strut tower smoke like crazy. Everything is grounded properly and this is still happening, what did I do wrong? the only thing I didn't hook up the same was the alternator,I didn't put that plastic ring that sits next to the housing back on I just slid on the first nut then the wire and followed it up with the second nut, could this be my problem?
    Try putting the ring back on,I suppose its possible you are shorting out on the Alt housing.
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

that's what i'm figuring as well
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I haven't tried it yet, im kinda in the middle of a lightning storm and my car is in my metal barn so i'm thinking i'll try it tomorrow, but I'll post if it works so everyone knows or if i'm still having issues

Comment

That plastic ring should have a small edge/lip that sets into the hole with the stud coming out, this keeps the stud from shorting to the body of the alternator.
          Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
          1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Ok so I unplugged the exciter wire from my alty and everything was fine, had power and car turned right over, however I didn't replace the ring, now my question is, If I replace the ring will it work with the exciter plugged in?

Comment

exciter must be present for proper operation.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I plugged it exciter back in after replacing the plastic washer on the alty and she works fine now, so apparently throwing those little pieces to the side when your doing a full swap is a bad decision lol

Comment

Originally posted by robmac View Post
                  I plugged it exciter back in after replacing the plastic washer on the alty and she works fine now, so apparently throwing those little pieces to the side when your doing a full swap is a bad decision lol
                  Glad you got it.
                  Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                  Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                  Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                  X