E Series teardown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E Series teardown

Hey guys heres the low down.I bought a 89 Carby @ 8 months ago.PO stated that it made "NOISE" in all gears. Finally got a little time to open it up.(This is my 1st time inside these gear boxes) I was actually surprised once I saw the parts. I was expecting to see lots of carnage,but in reality its not that bad.It appears that the noise might have been coming from the diff?
    Heres what I found,and if you have any input please let me know what you think.I'm planning on putting this in my Aspire (The Guinea Pig).

Side gear thrust washers have unusual wear pattern.(Only 1/4 of the washer has the wear,like it was cocked)
    Roll pin that holds Pinion shaft in place was cracked,but still in place.(see pic,I didn't damage it when removing)
    Last but not least,see that little piece of curved wire? That was stuck in between a pinion/side gear. I looked & looked & looked some more.And for the life of me I cant tell what it is or where it came from :eeeeeek:
    The magnet has no big chunks on it.Just a nice coating of metal poop,like what you'd see in a Auto trans magnet.
    My thoughts are this.Replace the two diff bearings,thrust washers.Replace the bearings on the output shaft.The input bearings really seem strong,so I'll leave em. Advice is greatly welcome!

Last edited by nitrofarm; 11-08-2011, 10:58 PM.
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Metal poop ftw!

I guess, if you have the time and patience. Most of us just buy another E series for $50-100. How much are you looking at for your rebuild?
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Could that metal wire be from the axle? Isn't there a little metal clip on the axle that goes into the diff. Cant remember with the e series.
      93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
      98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
      98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
        Metal poop ftw!

I guess, if you have the time and patience. Most of us just buy another E series for $50-100. How much are you looking at for your rebuild?
        This was a $50.00 tranny, it just happened to come with a car attached.
        Cost of rebuild will be whatever bearings cost I guess. This is "Training" for me,& the cost will be the bearings,bloody knuckles & Beer. :p

Originally posted by NicholasJackson View Post
        Could that metal wire be from the axle? Isn't there a little metal clip on the axle that goes into the diff. Cant remember with the e series.
        I think you hit the "Nail on the Head" Mate ! Thats a very plausible diagnosis. I'll measure its thickness & compare with a new one.
        Anyone have any thoughts on the wear pattern of the side gear thrust washers.And the PO complaint of noise in all gears? Nitrofarm-
        Last edited by nitrofarm; 11-09-2011, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
          This was a $50.00 tranny, it just happened to come with a car attached.
          Cost of rebuild will be whatever bearings cost I guess. This is "Training" for me,& the cost will be the bearings,bloody knuckles & Beer. :p

I think you hit the "Nail on the Head" Mate ! Thats a very plausible diagnosis. I'll measure its thickness & compare with a new one.
          Anyone have any thoughts on the wear pattern of the side gear thrust washers.And the PO complaint of noise in all gears? Nitrofarm-
          Measured the metal piece today & he was right. It was from the axle.

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
            Metal poop ftw!

Comment

Measured the metal piece today & he was right. It was from the axle.
              93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
              98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
              98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

Comment

I'm thinking out loud.Can I get the thrust washers new?Anyone have some PN's? Thx-

Comment

No, but that's a good price for that kit.
                  97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                  CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                  Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
                    No, but that's a good price for that kit.
                    I was hoping you show up here Dude. I have some spare E tranny's.Should I break down another and get the thrust washers from one of those? Does that look like a normal amount of metal debris on the magnet? The car has 250K so I doubt it was original tranny.....I think the kid I got it from was embarassed that he broke the case trying to get the axle out.(He really did a number on it)Then just decided to get rid of the car because he didnt want to buy a tranny. My guess is thats how the axle retaining ring bit ended up inside the diff.

Comment

Yes, yes, and yes. Then you can see how much of that is from chipped teeth off the pinion and side gears, and then get closer looks at the shift gates while you're in there. You know how maniacs have a way of breaking shift gates the same way they're able to break cannon balls with rubber mallets.
                      Either those pictures are hiding a multitude of sins, or those thrust washers look useable!? Depending on how much you plan on loading up thet trans, consider sending all the diff gears, pins and washers into 300 Below for some cryo treatment. If it's just going to be a b3/DD then just save the dough.

Comment

Yes, yes, and yes. Then you can see how much of that is from chipped teeth off the pinion and side gears, and then get closer looks at the shift gates while you're in there. You know how maniacs have a way of breaking shift gates the same way they're able to break cannon balls with rubber mallets.
                        Either those pictures are hiding a multitude of sins, or those thrust washers look useable!? Depending on how much you plan on loading up thet trans, consider sending all the diff gears, pins and washers into 300 Below for some cryo treatment. If it's just going to be a b3/DD then just save the dough.
                        Thanks for the help.The one washer has some good pitting going on.The gear teeth all look surprisingly good. I'll tear down another & start looking for better washers.Or possibly just the whole diff.
                        PS We have an account @ work with 300 below. Hmmmm

Comment

PS We have an account @ work with 300 below. Hmmmm
                          No kidding!? Man ALL my stuff would get froze soon-a or late-ah ha, ha.
                          The whole trans for starters, my brake rotors, and all my turbos and manifolds!
                          Last edited by iceracerdude; 11-10-2011, 05:44 PM.

Comment

No kidding!? Man ALL my stuff would get froze soon-a or late-ah ha, ha.
                            The whole trans for starters, my brake rotors, and all my turbos and manifolds!
                            I know,I'm gonna send some stuff sooner or later.Just found the damage on my gears.Its the idler & two gears that contact the idler.I'm at work so I dont have a book to call them out. But they def have grindage. I put the parts in the dunk tank.And once I got them all cleaned up.I was able to see them better. There is one Aluminum fork that looks a little worn also.The syncro's all seem ok though. I'm looking forward to rebuilding these tranny's.Its def UNCHARTED Territory for me.But my passion for these little cars is creating a thirst fot Knowledge.

Comment

you mean the reverse gear, the one that moves up and down on it's own arm? That engages the two first gears.

Comment

Working...
                              X