Thermostat seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat seal

I'm going to replace my thermostat, and I ordered the OEM two stage one from Rock Auto. Unfortunately it has been discontinued and they no longer stock it and will not be getting anymore. So I found a couple places online to order the Mazda part that's the same thing. I replaced a thermostat over ten years ago, and I remember there being a rubber seal that goes around the outside of the thermostat. But the thermostats don't come with one and I can't seem to find that seal anywhere online. Has anyone out there found that seal, or what have you been using?

Thanks

Originally posted by gdawgs View Post
    I'm going to replace my thermostat, and I ordered the OEM two stage one from Rock Auto. Unfortunately it has been discontinued and they no longer stock it and will not be getting anymore. So I found a couple places online to order the Mazda part that's the same thing. I replaced a thermostat over ten years ago, and I remember there being a rubber seal that goes around the outside of the thermostat. But the thermostats don't come with one and I can't seem to find that seal anywhere online. Has anyone out there found that seal, or what have you been using?

Thanks

I've gotten mine from Autozone just fine. Part #35251
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Not the gasket that seals up the housing, the rubber seal that goes around the thermostat itself.

Comment

There is no rubber seal that goes around the thermostat... Not one that I've seen. I've successfully replaced three thermostats.

You have to get the gasket from autozone though, like Charlie said. They have a rubber edge around the inside of the gasket that presses the thermostat into the head. I've had trouble with peel and stick gaskets, avoid those like the plague. Use a little gasket sealer (not maker) on the paper board and that will hold it in place.

But again, I've never encountered a rubber seal. I'd be happy to see an example though.
        -Zack
        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

i think i saw it in amazon, dont remember....

Comment

All the ones I have ever replaced have looked similar to this one.

Mine can't be the only ones like this.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
              There is no rubber seal that goes around the thermostat... Not one that I've seen. I've successfully replaced three thermostats.

You have to get the gasket from autozone though, like Charlie said. They have a rubber edge around the inside of the gasket that presses the thermostat into the head. I've had trouble with peel and stick gaskets, avoid those like the plague. Use a little gasket sealer (not maker) on the paper board and that will hold it in place.

But again, I've never encountered a rubber seal. I'd be happy to see an example though.
              Ok, now you got me thinking a bit deeper on this. The last time I changed one out on a Festiva was 10-12 years ago. But I also changed one out on my piece of crap Neon at about the same time. I think I'm confusing that rubber seal with the one on my Neon. Sorry for the confusion. Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and order the Mazda replacement part.

Comment

Working...
              X