carb manuel to auto swap ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb manuel to auto swap ??

I just completed this swap in an 89 . I'm having problems getting it to drop into passing gear . I'm thinking I've connected the vac line in the wrong spot . So can someone please take a picture and post it showing were exactly the vac line connects for the trans on a carb car . Thanks and yes I used search and only found the opposite swap help !!
    New build on the way .

manuel lol

I know that some cars have a kickdown linkage that activates passing gear.
    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Its a switch on the gas pedal. Two wire switch, one wire gets power from some fuse (don't remember which one) and the other is the single wire that goes to the kickdown solenoid on the front of the trans. When the gas pedal is pressed all the way down, it closes the switch completing the circuit and activating the solenoid which is grounded through the trans body. BTW, if your trans is shifting at all, you have the vac line done right. If its not hooked up, you will be stuck in first. But the vac line doesn't really have much to do with kickdown (passing gear, downshifting), that is controlled by the switch on the gas pedal.
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Never done one of those but since there were no carb'd autos from factory there might not be a large vac nipple on manifold except brake booster one which might have to be T'd.

Comment

As always the "Pizza Mechanic" is spot on with advice. The fuse he is calling out is the 10a "meter" fuse. So when key is "on" you have power up till the switch @ pedal. So you can either pull the solenoid & visually check its plunger when pedal is fully depressed (its adjustable).Or have someone push the pedal & listen/feel for solenoid actuation.Its as simple as you can get.Good luck-
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Okay. Thanks a lot . I didn't even swap that switch in ..
            I'm also noticing a hesitation about 1/4 throttle anything more or less its fine .
            Again thanks for the help ..
            New build on the way .

Comment

Is Manuel gonna help you with this?
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                Is Manuel gonna help you with this?
                Manuel who?

Comment

Yea he is !! But first he is going to fix the auto correct on my phone ..
                  New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
                    Okay. Thanks a lot . I didn't even swap that switch in ..
                    I'm also noticing a hesitation about 1/4 throttle anything more or less its fine .
                    Again thanks for the help ..
                    What Carb are you using? Check the float level.That can starve it if its to low giving you a hesitation.

Comment

I don't think carb'd cars came with atuomatic transmissions. They had to put in EFI to get the fuel consumption down so the cars would pass USA environmental standards. Auto transmissions have about 20% more fuel consumption.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                        I don't think carb'd cars came with atuomatic transmissions. They had to put in EFI to get the fuel consumption down so the cars would pass USA environmental standards. Auto transmissions have about 20% more fuel consumption.
                        Thats why the title of this thread has the word "SWAP" in it.

Comment

I only mention it because there are probably modifications needed.
                          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Nope, just tee into a manifold vac line and run the kickdown wire, or downshift to "2" manually like we do in Babystiva ('88LX swapped to ATX).
                            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
                            X