Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems

The Clutch went out on my Festiva so I pulled the engine and tranny out. While it was out I replaced the water pump, timing belt and tensioner, v-belt, distributor cap, rotor plugs and wires, Clutch and flywheel, and cleaned up and resealed the engine. When I put everything back together the car started right away. I drove it about 5 miles on the test run with no issues. On the way home from my shop (25 miles) the car stalled out about 10 miles into the trip and would not start. After about 5 minutes of sitting it started back up and ran the rest of the way home with no problems. The car runs great and has no signs of any issues. This morning I went to head down to the shop and the car stalled 3 times within 2 blocks of my house. The issue seems to be fuel related. I thought that the initial stall was air in the fuel system but now the car will not start at all. Fuel pump is working. Injectors are clean and flowing correctly. Not really sure what is going on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Chris

check coil& ignitor fusable links

Comment

Check to make sure you are getting spark to plugs and if not, check coil wire to see if it is getting spark. I didn't do same work you did, but sounds like the troubles I was having. I replaced ICM, coil, and it ended up being distributor. Make sure timing belt hasn't jumped couple teeth. Start at plug wires for spark if your sure it isn't fuel. Where in colorado are u. Im in Brighton.
      Last edited by milehighbear; 11-14-2011, 07:43 PM.
      Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
      93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
      01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Monument

Comment

Your about hour maybe hour half from me. Check what i put in the thread and if you can't find problem, let me know, I can maybe come down there and help you.
          01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by milehighbear View Post
            Check to make sure you are getting spark to plugs and if not, check coil wire to see if it is getting spark. I didn't do same work you did, but sounds like the troubles I was having. I replaced ICM, coil, and it ended up being distributor. Make sure timing belt hasn't jumped couple teeth. Start at plug wires for spark if your sure it isn't fuel. Where in colorado are u. Im in Brighton.
            So, it was the disty?

I carry a spare at all times. Darn things will be runnin' just fine...then...Pfftt! ....No worky! Had it happen on both Festy's i've owned.
            Last edited by drddan; 11-14-2011, 08:29 PM.
            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Yea drddan, it ended up being distributor. Genevadirt sent me a spare one and I put it in and it started right up. I also have another one on its way that I'm going to keep as a spare with me at all times too. I think I put it in my thread (don't want to steal this one from hefty).
              01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by hefty View Post
                I drove it about 5 miles on the test run with no issues. On the way home from my shop (25 miles) the car stalled out about 10 miles into the trip and would not start. After about 5 minutes of sitting it started back up and ran the rest of the way home with no problems. The car runs great and has no signs of any issues. This morning I went to head down to the shop and the car stalled 3 times within 2 blocks of my house. The issue seems to be fuel related. Chris
                Hey Chris..just a shot, but this happened to me too. I didnt see what year you have, but on the 88-89 carb models, where the fuel metal fuel line that runs under the car meets the firewall, it changes to a very short rubber fuel line and then connects to the fuel filter at the bottom of the firwall. The line is very short, and has to make a sharp turn to connect to the filter. With age this rubber fuel line, can get soft, and sometimes collapses under pressure from the fuel being sucked through it. It happened to me and gave me the same problems you descibe. I actually watched mine twist and collapse, thus shutting off the fuel flow to the mechanical pump on the block.

Edit:
                I went back re-read your post and I see that you did say injectors so that means you dont have a carb! LOL ...never mind
                Last edited by drddan; 11-14-2011, 08:46 PM.
                Dan

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                  Hey Chris..just a shot, but this happened to me too. I didnt see what year you have, but on the 88-89 carb models, where the fuel metal fuel line that runs under the car meets the firewall, it changes to a very short rubber fuel line and then connects to the fuel filter at the bottom of the firwall. The line is very short, and has to make a sharp turn to connect to the filter. With age this rubber fuel line, can get soft, and sometimes collapses under pressure from the fuel being sucked through it. It happened to me and gave me the same problems you descibe. I actually watched mine twist and collapse, thus shutting off the fuel flow to the mechanical pump on the block.

Edit:
                  I went back re-read your post and I see that you did say injectors so that means you dont have a carb! LOL ...never mind
                  Yeah its injected but has the fuel filter in the same location and same rubber hoses ect. I'll check that too.

Comment

The carb'd model has a mechanical pump on the block which russ off the camshaft. It sucks gas out of the fuel tank so there is negative pressure in the line.
                    The fuel injected model has an electric fuel pump in the tank which pushes the fuel through the line to the engine so there's positive pressure in the line.
                    The rubber hose should only collapse on a carb'd model.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

^ Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Positive pressure, as fuel is being pushed from the rear on FI models.
                      Dan

R.I.P.
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Got the Festiva running again. Turned out to be the fuel pump. Not really what I was looking for. I figured that it was something that I did when tearing out and putting the engine and tranny back in. The first pressure test on the fuel lines came back fine. The pump was just starting to go and was working some of the time so it gave me a false reading. Replaced it last night and took it for a test drive with no issues. Thanks for all the help.
                        Chris

Comment

Working...
                        X