Fuel leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel leak

I am new here just purchased a 93 festiva gl automatic. It is leaking gas out of the fuel line right behind the tranny under the car. There are 4 lines running from the back up to under the transmission then I cant tell where they are going until I remove battery and battery tray, I am guessing two of the lines are break lines and two are fuel lines? It is leaking where they are all connected right before the bend up to go above fram/subframe right below transmission. Was wondering if anyone has had this issue or know the the transmission is mounted up top so i can remove part of frame to get to lines. trying to fix it without having to replace lines like cutting out the rusted leaking spot and placing rubber fuel hose in to replace rusted spot. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

I haven't had this issue yet!
    But remember the fuel system is a high pressure system, the fuel line you use needs to be be rated for FI use, not carbie fuel line. The FI stuff is more expensive because it is reinforced to take the 35+ PSI pressure the fuel pump puts it under.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I replaced all my brake line and that partwas a real pain to get at. The lines run up between the body and the engine support (cross member?). I've read here it's much easier if you support the engine and transmission then lower the support to get access to the lines.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Alright looks like I will be tearing it apart this weekend. Was just wondering why there is 2 fuel lines? Can't see where the meet due to cross member being in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by 9festiva1 View Post
          Alright looks like I will be tearing it apart this weekend. Was just wondering why there is 2 fuel lines? Can't see where the meet due to cross member being in the way.
          The 4 hard lines that you saw that come into one junction, those are brake lines. The reason for two fuel lines, is that one line comes from the fuel pump to the injectors, and another line is to bring the excess fuel back to the fuel tank. The two fuel lines meet at the fuel injectors. There is also a fuel filter in the engine bay.

I hope this helps.
          Last edited by timmay89; 11-15-2011, 02:52 PM.

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
          -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

fuel lines and break lines are all ran together from back to front being 2 break lines and 2 fuels lines correct? the fuel is leaking just behind motor where all 4 lines are still together right before they split off.

Comment

Yes, the 4 lines are held together to the body by clamps which you're sure to have seen. One of the clamps is at the bottom of the fire wall on the driver's side just before the lines disappear under the engine support (cross member?). It's a challenge to remove while the support is there.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
              X