1987 festiva L oil leak between engine and firewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 festiva L oil leak between engine and firewall

I have a serious oil leak somewhere under the intake manifold, throws all oil out but one quart in 60 miles. its hard to see up in there but the oil filter is NOT leaking and it doesnt leak at an idle only under a load. Does anyone know what this might be? and it is under the intake not on top valve cover gasket is not the issue. Thanks

I will say probably the oil pressure warning light switch. Its under the intake near the manifold. There is a thread on here with a few pics and tips on changing it. Just search for "oil pressure switch". If it is the oil pressure switch it will leak very quickly since its under pressure when the engine is running, but hardly at all with the engine off.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

^Only thing back there besides filter.

Comment

Thank you I will check on that, I had my suspicions about that very thing but I thought it would leak at an idle.

Comment

If it's leaking try backing it out half way and wrapping the threads with white plumber's tape. You won't need to drain the oil ( if you have any left ). I read about it when searching the Internet for a solution to a leaking brake bleeder nipple. It worked. Brake fluid is under more pressure than motor oil so it should work.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
            If it's leaking try backing it out half way and wrapping the threads with white plumber's tape. You won't need to drain the oil ( if you have any left ). I read about it when searching the Internet for a solution to a leaking brake bleeder nipple. It worked. Brake fluid is under more pressure than motor oil so it should work.
            "white plumbers tape" = PTFE tape

More than likely this isn't going to solve the issue.
            I suspect a catastrophic failure in the sensor itself.
            This has happened to other members.
            That said, I'd still see if backing it out and wrapping it with PTFE tape works.
            Be prepared to remove and replace the pressure sensor.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

it hasd 250 thousand miles on it so I susspect replacing would save some time but thanks for the suggestion and help. would be nice to have more room in there but this has been the best free car I have ever recieved :-).

Comment

A free Festiva is the best in the world!
                In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

If you take the alternator out it will give you a LOT more room to work back there. Takes a couple extra mins, but your knuckles and wrists will thank you for it
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Well if your guna crawl under there and back the sensor out to wrap it you might as well just replace it. I think their only like $15

Comment

Mine was pretty easy to get to. Just put the car on ramps and go for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X