Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Axles came apart when removing? :( What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axles came apart when removing? :( What to do?

93 Festiva L 5spd. Am in the process of pulling the transmission to rebuilt it. The axles/driveshafts were difficult and were unable to pry out of the transmission. So, the pulling began and the axles came right apart, leaving part of the axle in the transmission.

Is this normal? I have never experienced this. Do I need to buy new ones of what?

Michael

What do you mean part of the axle was left in transmission. End of the axle is grooved and there is nothing after the grooves.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

The flimsy C ring popped out of the inner joint. It's no big deal. Actually makes it easier to get a tough inner CV out. Make sure you didn't lose any balls.

Comment

You have the root of the axle which is grooved that goes into the transmission. Just after the shaft comes out of the transmission there is a cv joint which is covered up by a rubber boot. And then the 2nd joint just prior to then outer end of the shaft where it goes into the wheel.

It came apart at the inside joint, allowing me to pull out the entire shaft minus the inside joint and splines.

Comment

What do you mean by the C ring?

Comment

It is what holds the cage and ball assembly to the inner joint. Normally you would pry it out with a thin screwdriver if you need to service the joint (after you get the axle out). It barely sits in it's groove and will pull out if really yanked.

Comment

Circlip.
              1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
              1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
              1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
              1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
              1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
              1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
              1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                It is what holds the cage and ball assembly to the inner joint. Normally you would pry it out with a thin screwdriver if you need to service the joint (after you get the axle out). It barely sits in it's groove and will pull out if really yanked.
                Should have said "inner joint shell". The shell is what remains in your trans. The trans can be removed with the shells in the case but must be angled a little forward because the pass side shell hits the eng. If the shells won't come out from prying, a 2-jaw puller attached to the shell which is then attached to a slide hammer with a hose clamp will remove them.

Comment

^^ive never heard it be called a shell, I've heard it referred to as the cup though, either way works I guess

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                    ^^ive never heard it be called a shell, I've heard it referred to as the cup though, either way works I guess
                    Cup is better.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelmiller85 View Post
                      93 Festiva L 5spd. Am in the process of pulling the transmission to rebuilt it. The axles/driveshafts were difficult and were unable to pry out of the transmission. So, the pulling began and the axles came right apart, leaving part of the axle in the transmission.

Is this normal? I have never experienced this. Do I need to buy new ones of what?

Michael
                      You probably have the 3-sided CV joint on the transmission. The only thing that holds it together with the rest of the axle is the rubber boot. As long as you didn't lose any of the parts, you can put it back together and install a new clamp on the rubber boot. Auto parts stores sell CV joint clamps and a tool to install them. The other type CV joint that is round and I think has 5 sides has a wire snap ring to keep it together. The 3-sided one does not.
                      You gonna race that thing?
                      http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

the one I was refering to is the kind with 6 removable steel balls. There is also a "tripod" type without balls (and possibly without wire ring).

Comment

Boys, Boys, Boys, "A picture is worth a thousand words"!

I believe your situation is this, this is what's left in the transaxle:

This is how you get an axle out correctly, by using two pry bars at the same time. Although it's true some guys are able to pop an axle out using only
                          one pry bar, that's usually because the circle clip is pretty loose to begin with, or the axle had been previously removed loosening that circle clip.
                          Using only one pry bar at a time actually sets up a "binding" situation.

Then you'll end up with this...ask me how I know

Last edited by iceracerdude; 11-18-2011, 09:40 AM.
                          97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                          CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                          Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

I will give it a shot. thanks for the tips.

Comment

one pry bar and a small hammer. pressure behind the cup with the bar and light tap tap taps with the hammer and pop!
                              1991 Smoketiva - 306k
                              1997 Jeep Cherokee - 4.6L Stroker
                              2004 Sebring

Comment

Working...
                              X