CAT Mod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAT Mod.

Gettin' ready to do the CAT mod. What has everyone used to mod the cat? What tool/ bar, etc.?
    If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Generally, a scalpel, pair of snips, some sedative, and a $100 vet bill...
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Never heard of this CAT mod..
      91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
      14 C7 Z51

Comment

I've seen folks use a flex pipe and put the old cat shell back around it... since the shell easily comes off with 6 studs/nuts.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I generally advise against "gutting" a cat (converter, that is). The reason is that exhaust gas velocity is extremely important to engine performance. If you hollow out the cat body, you're left with a large open chamber that will create flow turbulence. The expansion of the exhaust gas upon entering the large open chamber will greatly reduce the flow velocity. Usually, this results in a sizable loss in low RPM torque and reduced MPG. The exception to this would be if the cat is actually plugged to the point of causing issues....in which case, gutting it would actually be an improvement. I would either replace the cat completely with a piece of pipe, or maybe install a length of straight pipe through the center of the cat body. In most cases, the connection flanges of the cat are very rusty and weak anyway and tend to crumble when removed. I think replacing the entire cat with a piece of pipe and a flexible joint would be the best option. Just my 2 cents....
          Last edited by blkfordsedan; 11-18-2011, 11:32 AM.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Oh...gut the cat. Just make a pipe that will fit the original location and put the cover over it.
            91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
            14 C7 Z51

Comment

Okay, thanks all. Pipe it is, no guttin', converter that is.:eeeeeek: I don't need a seditive , just a beer.
              Last edited by navdoc101; 11-18-2011, 01:42 PM.

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Actually, you could scrap the cat for good money, used to get $80+ for them last year.
                Would pay for the pipe swap and maybe then some.
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Replace it with a resonator, scrap it, put the heat shield back on.

Comment

P.s. Most modern cats flow sufficiently to not create unnecesary restriction. Just throwin' that out there

Comment

I've been told that if you weld a washer inside the pipe after deleting the cat it will create enough backpressure to not do any harm, but still be open, and isn't as loud when your just cruising until you step on it. I haven't personally tried it, yet.
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Christ View Post
                        P.s. Most modern cats flow sufficiently to not create unnecesary restriction. Just throwin' that out there
                        Its 18 yrs old. probely a little restricted.

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

I have used a drill, an 18" extension for a drill bit, and a hole saw in the past.
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Gut The Cat

Gutted mine out with a piece of rebar, welded in a piece of exhaust tubing...looks like a cat (required here), but it's open all the way back to the muffler.

Comment

Originally posted by navdoc101 View Post
                              Its 18 yrs old. probely a little restricted.
                              Ironically, if it's restricted at all, it's not functional.

Theyll generally flow as well 20 years later as they did from day one. If it's getting plugged, theres a problem elsewhere that needs to be addressed.

Comment

Working...
                              X