(not Festiva) exhaust valves not closing on the Galant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (not Festiva) exhaust valves not closing on the Galant

This is on my '90 Galant, 2.0 (4G63) SOHC. Ok, I didn't really notice what it was like when I took it apart, but once I got the Galant head all put back together I realized that none of the exhaust valves were closing fully. Turned the cam through a few revolutions to make sure it wasn't just HLAs getting stuck or something, and it wasn't. So I took the cam and rockers back off (rocker arms come off as a unit with the cam caps) and all the valves seated properly. When I reinstalled everything they stayed closed until the last turn or so on the cap/rocker arm bolts, but once everything was tightened down they are all held open just a bit. Any ideas? I'm running out of guesses, I've cleaned the HLA in diesel fuel per the FSM, and all of them seem normal, and they are all the same, so no mixing up the intake ones with the exhaust ones. It just sucks because I'm finally ready to put everything back together and sell it, but I'm not about to put back together with the exhaust valves not closing
    No festiva for me ATM...

rockers on the wrong side?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Never even took them apart completely, they only go one way, but I left the whole rocker shafts, cam caps, and rockers themselves completely intact. I'm at a loss on this one, I know they had to be sealing before, because I had good (great actually) comp on all cylinders except for the one with the bad intake valve.
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

HLAs installed on the wrong sides? Some Mitsu engines had different ones for intake and exhaust.

Edit: Probably not. That only applies to really old, non USA engines. Check anyway
        Last edited by JPT; 11-18-2011, 08:59 PM.
        Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
        '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
        '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

ok, try this one: did you remove any valves OTHER than the bad intake?
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Arty, I removed ALL the valves for cleaning and valve stem seal replacement, one at a time and all went back in the same spot they came out of (except for the bad intake one of course). Also, all the HLAs went back in their same spots, until I switched the intake ones with the exhaust since they are the same part number, just to see if it made a difference (which it didn't, I switched them back anyway). I saw on one Mitsu site a vague reference to "shims", but I didn't think much of it at the time since I hadn't encountered this problem yet. But even if the shim thing had anything to do with it, since the rocker shafts are ON the cam caps, if there were shims or something that I lost somehow, the cam would be binding without the extra clearance (and it isn't). I'm about to go to the junkyard and pull another head, but I hate to since I just spent a good deal of time cleaning this one up, plus I'd have to get new valve stem seals too
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Did you swap the HLA's by accident ?

LOL Just kidding.I know in the past I've mentioned things that you have already tried.:nono:
              It sounds like you have too much oil/diesel fuel in the lifter thats all.
              Heres a real thorough write up,notice how he says he fills the HLA's then drains them so the valve wont stay open & smack the piston.He also says it clatters badly on start up till the HLA's pump back up. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/arti...s-lifters.html
              Last edited by nitrofarm; 11-19-2011, 08:47 AM.
              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I don't know if your Galant rocker is similar to a Festy, but if it is, compare an exhaust rocker to the intake rocker and see if the exhaust HLA is inside the rocker as deep as the intake. Perhaps for some reason the exhaust HLA's are not seating all the way inside the rocker. You may need to apply some extra force to get them seated.
                You gonna race that thing?
                http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

.... An interesting predicament. Especially with the article from "nitrofarm" http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/arti...s-lifters.html

A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

Think I got it fixed I think ya'll are right about the lifters being too pumped up. I tried installing and leaving overnight to see if they leaked down some and let the valves seat and they didn't. But one of my DSM buddies that I finally got ahold of said what they do is knock the top of each rocker a couple times with a rubber mallet, to simulate the valves banging up and down with the engine running. Told him no dice, I'd already turned the cam through about 50 revolutions with no change. He said, nope, just trust me, bang on them with a rubber mallet and everything will be fine. Lol. So I said why not... came home and did it. And I'll be darned if every single valve isn't sealing properly against its seat now. So there ya have it, a weird fix for a weird problem. So glad I stick to Mazdas for the most part lol.
                    Last edited by htchbck; 11-19-2011, 01:36 PM.
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

So the Hammer is STILL an awesome tool! Glad you got it.Sounds also like that motor has some issues with burning valves.

Comment

Something with 2.0's in general just isn't right imo, even the 626's have head issues, especially with valve stem seals. All of them, mazdas and probes, it's just a gamble wether the seals are going to start leaking before the CD4E transmission goes out.
                        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Valves weren't burnt bad at all for a 165k engine. It was just one bent for some reason. I got the head back on last night and everything turns smoothly without bumping anything Still got all the bits and pieces to hook back up, then see how it runs And it better run lol, after all I've been through
                          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                            Valves weren't burnt bad at all for a 165k engine. It was just one bent for some reason. I got the head back on last night and everything turns smoothly without bumping anything Still got all the bits and pieces to hook back up, then see how it runs And it better run lol, after all I've been through
                            Sounds like it should be fine.

Comment

Who knows lol... it had a blown HG also, not sure why, the rad isn't popped, in fact its chock full of nice tasty green antifreeze. But the oil is definitely very sick looking, and the HG was definitely popped. Along with that there was the bent valve, but the timing belt looked great (replaced it anyway) AND the timing was dead on AND there was no corresponding ding on the piston. Plus it had great compression on all cylinders but the one with the bad valve. So who knows. Now I'm trying to find the "plug" on the backside of the engine that you take out and stick a screwdriver in to line up the back silent shaft... lol the Mitsu guys must have been on crack when they designed the 4G63 back in the 80s lol. Can't believe they still used it in the EVOs till a couple years ago!
                              Last edited by htchbck; 11-20-2011, 08:14 AM.
                              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
                              X