Headlight problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight problem

I have a 1988 Festiva and I can not figure out a problem I'm having with the headlights. When I turn them on, the low beams work, When I pull back on the headlight lever (to flash high beams) the high beams work. When I push the lever forward for High beam, they go off. No headlights.
    I removed and checked the relay by the battery and it works. I have got a couple of different manuals and neither of them has a wiring schematic.

Any ideas? Or is there another relay some where?

Thanks,
    WWhunter

Sounds like a problem with the headlight switch itself to me. Worn or dirty contacts in the switch can cause that
    Paul
    91GL
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

where is the relay you were checking? the relay for the lights is located almost under the air box on the passenger side fender.. if that goes bad it will give you the same effect and other things will act funny, you may also loose the dash lights and blinker operation as well..

Comment

Flash to pass uses the same relay as high beam does it not, so if it works then it should work for high. Its the switch. Haynes manuals have wiring in the back.
        97 Ford Aspire 2dr 5 sp
        92 Isuzu Impulse 1.8 5 sp 140HP, handling by Lotus, balls by Isuzu.
        95 Mitsubishi Expo 2.4
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...64/xsext2a.jpg

Comment

it could even be the bulbs, if the high beam filament is blown..

Comment

Its the switch. He said in his first post that he can get the high beams to turn on by pulling the stalk back. Therefore the bulbs are just fine as well as the relay
            Paul
            91GL
            Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

get your car workin yet paul??

Comment

Not yet. Haven't had enough time or nice weather to do much with it since I don't have a garage for another week yet. Today's going to be 60 something and sunny here so if ll goes well I will be taking it to work tomorrow morning
                Paul
                91GL
                Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

Working...
                X