In car ring job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In car ring job?

Hello all! I dont post on here much but i am on the site very often. My problem is that i have very very low compression on all cylinders and especially #3. I know im going to have to do a ring job but i just want it back to the way it use to be. Not trying to do any upgrades just yet really dont have the time. Mine is an 89L 1.3 carbed, and this is my second motor. I did how ever upgrade to a 5 speed manual from the 4 speed. This motor actually lasted me about 7 years so i can say i got my money out of it. No what im trying to find out is that is it possible to do a ring job with the block still in the car. I can remove the head ream the ridge out of the cylinders drop the oil pan to get to the rod bolts and pop the pistions out the top. Does this sound doable or has anyone ever done this before. Thanks in advance for all the help!
    FF-89

I'm sure it is do-able however it doesn't seem worth it in my opinion. If the rings are shot, there is a very good chance that the cylinders have wear also (tapered) which will require the block being bored to 'true' the cylinders up. In the very least (even if the cylinders aren't out of tolerance) you will want to hone the cylinders so that the new rings can seat.
    It really isn't that much work to go ahead and pull the motor out and do it right. I have heard stories of people doing what you are suggesting on cars they were getting rid of, but never on one they were planning on keeping - for what it is worth. Good luck either way.

Comment

It can, in fact, be done. I'm actually having the exact same problem. I have a 1991 FI, head gasket went out, so I replaced it, and all too well I suppose. Now I have almost zero compression in #3, normal in #1, then somewhere in between on #2 and #4. I fired it up and ran about a mile up the road, before iut was smoking so bad I had to bring it back home. Popped the hood, and lo-and-behold, there oils in the intake. I'm assuming with a brand new headgasket, the 20 years of wear forced oil past the rings into the compression chamber, and out of the intake manifold. Either that or my PCV valve is stuck wide open, and it's blowing INTO the intake, and what I witness was a gravity-fed drip. Either way, it's a little more than disheartening. I'm actually shopping for a B6T as we speak, but I'll be tearing this motor down in just that manner over the next few days (weeks?) depending on my work schedule.
      From under the car, it comes out:

żlləɥ əɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Comment

I've personally seen this done. Drop the pan and the crank and pistons you will be in there like swim wear.

Disclaimer.. Kids don't try this at home.
        1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! Im not sure when i will be performing this task but it will be in the near furture for sure. Driving on the interstate is getting depressing since i can barley even stay above 65mph. I drive this little blue bomb daily and really enjoy driving it, so i am going to have to get er done!!! If anyone else has some suggestions please chime in and let me know your oppinion. Thanks!
          FF-89

Comment

I've done this a few times on different cars including the Festiva. Not ideal but certainly do-able.

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada
            93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
            59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Why would you? It's so easy to get the engine in and out.
              91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
              14 C7 Z51

Comment

Ive done it before on a bmw 3 series. It was very easy just time consuming. Seems like on a festy it would be easier to do out of the car, but if you don't have a hoist I'd just do it in car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

spend the time and do it right,pull it out not have to worry for another 100k miles.every time you take short cuts it allways bites you

Comment

I don't understand why everyone is making a big deal outa this. How much differences is it doing on car or outa car? You can do everything you need to do while the engine is still in the car than it would be if you pulled the motor except you would have to get down and and work on you back unless you got a lift. Just remember when you go to hone the cylinders that you throw somethin over the crank to avoid getting shavings on it(also I would check for taper so the whole job wouldn't be pointless). I've done re-rings on a few cars while the engine was still in there and I personally think it was less time consuming.

Comment

Personally, I want to stand on flat feet when working on anything. So I would pull it.
                      Neil

Jesus loves me. This I know.

93 L track prep in progress
                      88? Parts car-sold
                      91 L B6-me f25mr-soon to be ???
                      86 b2000- pisses of HOA-sold
                      1997 k1500 suburban- kid hauler/GAS hog

Comment

Once again thanks for all the opinions and the advice especially about covering the crank when honing the cylinders. Like i said in my first post i really am doing this on a budget and i dont want to have to buy a hoist or a stand to work on the motor. So im just going to do a little at a time and still make sure its all done right and not just slap it all together and go. I drive this little car way too much for it just to be rushed back together. It really has been very reliable for me in all seasons so i owe it that much.
                        Last edited by ROBERT MITCHELL; 11-22-2011, 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling
                        FF-89

Comment

Pay it back and put a b6 or b8 it would be like a 20 yr coming Christmas gift.
                          1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

That's what I said.... :lol:
                            89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
                            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
                            92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
                            New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

Working...
                            X