Should I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I?

Im rebuilding a 1.6L out of a capri, I picked it up from a guy who had it sitting in his backyard for about 4 years. My questions is should I replace the oil pump? Im thinking yes but Idk what would go wrong with it sitting like that or how one works on this motor.

clean it and check your clearances before packing it with some light grease and throwing it back in.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
      Im rebuilding a 1.6L out of a capri, I picked it up from a guy who had it sitting in his backyard for about 4 years. My questions is should I replace the oil pump? Im thinking yes but Idk what would go wrong with it sitting like that or how one works on this motor.
      The injectors & might be stuck ( You can soak em) & 1 or 2 HLA's might be collapsed (they are easy to get at & replace).
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

What should the clearances be? What to soak the injectors in? And what are HLA's?

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
          What should the clearances be? What to soak the injectors in? And what are HLA's?
          You or some one will have to look those up for the crapi engine.

Soak injectors in Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil. Better if you can use a 9V battery to open the injectors while soaking.
          And or use a ultrasonic bath.
          Be careful not to generate a spark near the solvents.

HLA's = Hydraulic Lash Adjusters
          Last edited by Pu241; 11-22-2011, 05:12 PM.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Ok thank you guys I will be doing all that hopefully this weekend

Comment

Working...
            X