Pinch bolt gone :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinch bolt gone :(

Hey guys I have a 91 festiva GL, and yesterday my pinch bolt for the ball joint came out while I was driving, thankfully I was only going about 5mph when it happened. How do I know what size bolt to use for this? I will be walking to the auto parts store and dont want to make more than 1 trip. Bolt diameter and length will be much appreciated.

Quick and dirty.

Take the one from the other side to match it.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I recently replaced mine. I remember the stock bolt had a 14mm head and was in a metric thread pattern and diameter. If you even just take the nut from the other side, you can thread/dia match at the store. Also, a longer bolt than you think would be necessary is fine. It won't hit anything in action.
      -Zack
      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I got the new bolts, but now there is a crazy grinding/knocking sound coming from somewhere when I start my car, I think it might be the axle, but its in all the way and its in park right now. The boot closest to the tire ripped and I think the joint in there might be damaged, but I dont know how it could make that noise in park.

Comment

it is not the axle if it is making the noise in park....did something happen to make you lose the bolt...or did the LCA pop out and you had to put it back after it happened?
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLookin View Post
            Hey guys I have a 91 festiva GL, and yesterday my pinch bolt for the ball joint came out while I was driving, thankfully I was only going about 5mph when it happened. How do I know what size bolt to use for this? I will be walking to the auto parts store and dont want to make more than 1 trip. Bolt diameter and length will be much appreciated.
            How did you notice it was missing?

Comment

If you can put the front end up on jack stands you can run the car in idle and in gear and listen to find out where and when the sound occurs.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
              X