X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Int wiper switch install issue

My driver is a 88 festy L
    I got an int. wiper assembly from a 89 festy
    I plug it in and the regular settings and stop work, no int.
    On the wiring harness there are 5 wires in the plug, on the switch are six terminals. Do I need to add a wire to make this work? All the wiring schematics I look at have 6 wires to the plug.
    or is it just not gonna work?
    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Possibly dumb question, but I gotta know....did you just install the arm, or the intermittent module it fits into as well?

I've done several of these with the variable intermittent feature, and never had a problem.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I removed the whole assembly and reinstalled.
      My car is an early 88 so I am figuring it may not have the sixth wire for the variable speed wipers, it has no wiring for any other options either, tach, power mirrors, rear defog etc...
      Last edited by econoaddict; 11-27-2011, 08:24 PM.
      1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by econoaddict View Post
        I removed the whole assembly and reinstalled.
        My car is an early 88 so I am figuring it may not have the sixth wire for the variable speed wipers, it has no wiring for any other options either, tach, power mirrors, rear defog etc...
        There is no extra wire for intermittent or variable intermittent. It's all contained in the module you install with the intermittent stalk.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

That's what I thought as well.
          I can't check the car the unit came out of until tomorrow, need to see how many wires are running to the wiper plug. So far all schematics show 6.
          I'll update what I find and grab some pics if things are different.

Comment

I just did this swap using a 88 assembly into my 93 Festiva.
            The wiper plugs are the same (no extra wires)
            This is a stupid question but is the lever moving into its 4 positions?

Comment

Ok, took the assembly back to the parts car, plugged it in and it works great.
              the 89 it came out of has 6 wires to the plug, my 88 has 5 wires to the plug.
              Need to see where the 6th wires goes and add it to my 88.

Not sure why but my 88 has NO extra wiring in it anywhere for options, the 89 and my 92 have wiring for all available options whether on the car or not.

Comment

does your 88 have rear defrost? i've found that those with defrost have all the extra wireing and those without defrost have nothing... this goes for 89 as well.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  does your 88 have rear defrost? i've found that those with defrost have all the extra wireing and those without defrost have nothing... this goes for 89 as well.
                  no rear defrost or wiring for it.

Comment

there's your issue then.... you need an optioned steeting harness to make it work. one from an LX.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                      there's your issue then.... you need an optioned steeting harness to make it work. one from an LX.
                      Pulled the harness out today, will probably get it installed this weekend.

Comment

OK! So after extensive searching :scratch: I finally find a thread from someone who seems to have a exact situation as I.
                        My 89L also has NO provisions for connecting the various options available on the Festy.
                        I've swapped almost all of those elements I got off the same year LX, but as described by the OP, no Joy.
                        Ill have to manually wire each component or, it sounds like, I can swap sub-wire loom sections?
                        It doesn't look like there is any sub-loom for the back hatch functions but related to this thread, & Interval Wipers,
                        I installed the Tilt column including its (Orange) combo stalk switch, & like the OP everything else works but the intermittent setting for the wipers.
                        I looked around under the dash & it doesn't look like the column has it own sub-section?
                        Since the OP never detailed what loom he pulled or reported back as to success or not, I guess Im resurrecting this old thread.
                        So is the sub-loom he described the one that is connected to the length of the back of the dash?

Comment

I don't know which optional stuff you're trying to install. As far the intermittent wipers, this is simply exchanging the intermittent module( or variable delay) onto your existing combination switch. Three screws hold the modules on and the plug fits all the different variations. No underdash wiring involved. If your trying to get the headlight switch form an 88-89 to work with a 90-93, that's another issue which well may require it. Be sure to document any success with that as I too, along with many others would like to do that.
                          "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
                          "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
                          "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
                          "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
                          "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
                          "Wenona"-89L parts car
                          "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Working...
                          X