Tune-up parts list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tune-up parts list

I'm ordering parts to do a full tune up on my 93, some stuff is done already but so far I have;

PCV valve (done)
    air filter (done)
    oil and filter (done)
    spark plugs and wires
    dist. cap and rotor
    valve cover gasket
    timing belt kit
    fuel filter

Am I going to need any other maintenance parts?

My car is a 5 speed, anything I need to check on the transmission?

Drain and refill it with ATF. Check for shavings with magnet.

Comment

you pretty much have it nailed. maybe grease any joints?

ADMIN @ http://ironjuggernauts.com/forum.php?referrerid=1

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
        Drain and refill it with ATF. Check for shavings with magnet.
        atf?

stupid question. but i'll soon be in need of a tranny service( no pun)
        Fesdiva is it's new name since she's acting crazy- 92 L

Comment

ATF - auto trans fluid. Dex/Merc compatible is what you'll find on the shelf.
          -Zack
          Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

is the draining/refilling w ATF a long process?

anyone got a link to a write up or walkthrough? maybe...?

Comment

I'd say run it around for a few minutes, get everything warmed up and moving (not too hot, but a manual trans shouldn't heat up the fluid nearly as much as an auto)

Drive up on some ramps or lift the car, get a drain pan ready and use the box end of a wrench or socket and ratchet to loosen/remove the drain bolt.

Let it drain for 10 minutes, takes a long time for the last drips to stop.

Before you put the drain bolt back in, clean the threads on the transmission and the threads of the bolt to ensure easy turning and no leaks.

Refill through the speedometer cable hole with ATF. I forget exactly how much, but there's a simple walk through.
              -Zack
              Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

If your going to to a timing belt, do water pump too as long as you have the cover off and make sure you have a new belt tensioner while your in there also
                Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
                93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
                01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

changing tranny fluid is as easy as draining engine oil....only difference is you have to heat up the tranny fluid via running the car so you can get a true read on the tranny check stick.

ADMIN @ http://ironjuggernauts.com/forum.php?referrerid=1

Comment

For a major tune you would have stopped before the valve cover gasket and the timing belt. Anything more is scheduled maintenance.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

sorry about the thread jack, but i do appreciate the help.
                      common people, common goals, awesome festivas.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                        For a major tune you would have stopped before the valve cover gasket and the timing belt. Anything more is scheduled maintenance.
                        I was reading that the valves should be checked/adjusted every 15k miles. I'm pretty sure they've never been done on my car, and there's a slight leak at the gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by All systemz View Post
                          I was reading that the valves should be checked/adjusted every 15k miles. I'm pretty sure they've never been done on my car, and there's a slight leak at the gasket.
                          Only 88-89 valves have to be adjusted.

Comment

maybe try cleaning your EGR valve while your at it? I mean if your just wanting to do maintenance you might as well..
                            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

My manual says adjust the valves only if they're noisy. After I did a compression test and found uneven compression I used a chemical cleaner to reduce leaks around the valves and reduce noise, and then checked/adjusted the valves. Otherwise I wouldn't have touched them.

I agree with the suggestion to clean the EGR valve when you have time. It reduces NOx emissions by regulating combustion temperature. Photos at www.photobucket.com/Festiva-EGR
                              Last edited by WmWatt; 11-29-2011, 07:01 PM.
                              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                              X