carb automatic 89.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb automatic 89.

I put together a carb auto car and I'm having some problems with it that I can't figure out ,so I'm asking for ideas on what it might be ....
    It starts hard when cold . Kinda normal I know ,after a five minute warm up it will take another five minutes before it will shift out of first . Then it shifts great every time .
    The main problem is after warm up and all that's done, when you try to take off from a stop and ease into the gas it will shut off ,but starts rite back up fine .
    If you press down hard like half throttle its fine ,takes off great . It's like anything less then 1/4 throttle it shuts off .
    It's not a mis then shut off its dead done that's it . Like a switch .
    History
    This is a four speed to auto swap
    235,000 miles. Smokes , not bad .
    New plugs ,wires ,cap ,button ,plugs ,gas filter , air cleaner ,complete tune up .
    Car ran fine when it was a four speed .

Being so there is no actual line for the trans I connected into a large Vac line . I'm thinking the engine is just worn and not holding the Vac in needs but I thought I would ask around and see what you guys thought .
    And yes the kick down switch has been installed on the gas peddle .
    Thanks for info and ideas ..
    New build on the way .

Don't know much about this swap except that the vac needs to be straight from the manifold like the brake booster vs. from the carb or air cleaner.

Comment

and you need to run more timing and have a higher idle speed than a normal carb should.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Those were my thoughts as well . I will be adjusting and tinkering with this some .
        It's really strange how the car idles and returns to idle after rev, just perfect . Never shuts off idling .
        New build on the way .

Comment

Working...
        X