Spark plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plugs?

What causes spark plugs to burn up faster than normal?

EVO deck'd out with Bruce Lee
    First time owner
    89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
    Bought for mpg and only paid $250

This may help.

BP, Aspire brakes, stock trans.

Comment

a coil that isn't hot enough or poor grounding.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Heli coil spark plug holes or any other damage to spark plug threads in the head. Spark plugs dissipate most of their heat through thread contact to the head. Dirty or carbon fouled threads, loose threads, will contribute to heat damaged plugs.

This assumes you are using name brand plugs of the proper heat range.

Some name brands acquired by Federal Mogual have started having some
        problems likely due to funding cuts. The problems are the bonding material between the porcelain and the thread shell. The bonding material baking up the plug contributes to flash over and plug - boot failure. If left in place sometimes combustion will leak through. This isn't your problem but a warning that you could bolt in a new problem..check what others are currently having success with.
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

What plugs should I buy for a better heat range. Right now Ive got autolube

First time owner
          89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
          Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

Originally posted by jbuck1975 View Post
            What plugs should I buy for a better heat range. Right now Ive got autolube

^^^ Autolube!!hahaha
            I use Bosch +2 plugs in all three of my Festivas.
            Chuck
            Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
            If money will fix it, it's not broken
            91 GL -Ol' Rusty
            93 GL - Lil Red
            91 L - Tweetystiva
            http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
            http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Originally posted by jbuck1975 View Post
              What causes spark plugs to burn up faster than normal?

What do you mean by burn up? Can you post a picture of your plugs? Also, what do you consider normal? You may only need to get a colder plug (meaning, it dissipates heat faster). But too many unknowns to give you a good answer. Try changing to NGK v-power copper plugs (good and inexpensive). Still, post some pictures of your plugs, it could be many things messing up the plugs.
              For heat range info, check these sites:

Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by hotfordcat View Post
                ^^^ Autolube!!hahaha
                I use Bosch +2 plugs in all three of my Festivas.
                our ignition systems aren't designed for platinum plugs (higher internal resistance) and the Bosch +2 and +4 are total JUNK (and a gimmick to boot, just like the E3s). better off with an NGK, Denso, or a quality coper core. besides, they're cheaper too
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I use the NGKs, indexed so the open end of the electrodes faces the intake side. The only point I see for the E3s is if you don't index the plugs this way.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

NGK is the best plugs for our engine IMO. Standard NGK's work perfect.
                    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                      Heli coil spark plug holes or any other damage to spark plug threads in the head. Spark plugs dissipate most of their heat through thread contact to the head. Dirty or carbon fouled threads, loose threads, will contribute to heat damaged plugs.
                      Here's another much more common source of plug overheating -- the urban myth that spark plugs should be installed using anti-seize compound. If you use the common form of anti-seize compound it will restrict the flow of both current and heat from the plugs through the threads to the head. Sure to contribute to abnormal heat build up.

I've had a set of Bosch Fusion plugs fail after a very short time. I'm convinced they failed because I put too much anti-seize compound on them. I have tested a set of stock Ford plugs on my Aspire without the use of any anti-seize compound and have seen absolutely no sign of seizing. Click here to read my post describing that experiment.

But I should tell you I cleaned the thread holes completely. Otherwise who knows what might be in there to gum up the works.
                      John Gunn
                      Coronado, CA

Improving anything
                      Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

^ I never thought about the conductivity of anti-seize but that makes sense.
                        More resistance = more heat and less spark.

Luckily I don't use anti-seize. My spark plugs aren't in long enough to seize in the head.
                        ~Austin
                        Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

copper plugs just don't last very long, but they cost less...go figure.

Platinums take way more heat than copper, and iridiums take way more heat than platinums. You can google that
                          I run NGK Iridiums, but I also run 10 pounds of boost (a lot more heat than you'll ever see) All with the stock ignition system (97)
                          The first thing you notice is, the car will start much easier, faster.
                          97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                          CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                          Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

The fine tip of iridium seems to ignite better under stress as well. I like them. New plugs of most any brand have a finish applied designed to resist seizing. This seems to work for 50k of the 100k miles they are advertised to go. Bosch as of late have been removed to solve drive-ability issues a lot. One thing about copper core, they usually work really well for 20K then you change them before they seize, thats good, unless it takes a shop 3 hours to change them.. If one seizes on the 100K plugs and a shop charges to remove it nothing is saved dollar wise and you have a messed with plug hole that runs a little hotter..catch 22 !!
                            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I used the standard NGKs on my B3, never had any problems. Moved to NGK Iridiums with my BP (because racecar) and also have no problems. The BP does start a bit quicker, but I honestly don't think it matters that much. As long as they're changed often enough, I'm sure NGK V-Powers are more than sufficient.
                              BP, Aspire brakes, stock trans.

Comment

Working...
                              X