Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darlo,
    Think this thread by Nitrofarm is what you need:

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Darlo, you might want to consider running an Extra Heavy Gage wire from the Alt output to the Battery positve post.Just make sure its fused with no more than @ a 30a .But you really are taxing the Alt my friend.You need to actually do a simple test with a amp meter & a battery and see how much those frog lights are pulling. You might not be able to run both sets & your Power Amplifiers
      But YES you need to UPGRADE your factory Dist block.You don't necessarily have to use my method. Because its totally intended for a stock wiring system. You can use SPADE terminals like others on this forum. Just make sure you use the heavy 30a rated ones. I've seen a few people on here use the smaller ones.And thats really not sufficient IMO. Just remember ALWAYS disconnect your battery ground cable before you start any repairs.
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I was thinking of cleaning/reparing like NitroFarm, but then I saw post #89 on this link and thought I would do this, as then I could run that style of fuse.

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Is there any disadvantage to that way?
        Last edited by Pu241; 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darlo View Post
          I was thinking of cleaning/reparing like NitroFarm, but then I saw post #89 on this link and thought I would do this, as then I could run that style of fuse.

Is there any disadvantage to that way?
          If you clean up the Copper Dist Block then you can run cartridge fuses. Which are very nice. Running the stock Copper block has a slight advantage. With the stock setup 12v comes in @ the copper plate.(The wire is actually screwed onto the copper plate). Then there are 3 tabs that split power from there. With the way he has it wired in #89 the power for the last fuse is passing through three crimp splices. You'll have some small resistance across these splices. I would also make the 40a fuse splice the main feed.(thus having the 2 smaller 30a fuse splices to left & right) As opposed to it being second down the path.Make sense? You still need to figure out how many amps you want to safely pull. Otherwise no matter how you wire it. It wont pass the test

Comment

I think that would be fine to see if that solves your problem and for testing.
            But for long term I'd feel more comfortable with maybe grabbing a 323 under hood fuse box and wiring it up. It is covered and takes cartridge fuses.

Anyone got a pic of one from an early 323 or possibly the newer model Proteges.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Way to keep your eyes open ! Sure saves a lot of horsing around figuring it out !
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Yes indeed, we will see in a couple days when I have time to fix/clean it......

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                  I think that would be fine to see if that solves your problem and for testing.
                  But for long term I'd feel more comfortable with maybe grabbing a 323 under hood fuse box and wiring it up. It is covered and takes cartridge fuses.

Anyone got a pic of one from an early 323 or possibly the newer model Proteges.
                  Aspires have a covered fuse box. Little one with three fuses I think...
                  ~Austin
                  Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

How's it going Darlo? My dad and I just replaced the alternator and so far, these past couple of days, it has solved the issue. Just thought I'd add that conclusion to the thread but also wanted to see how your solution was coming along.
                    -Zack
                    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                      How's it going Darlo? My dad and I just replaced the alternator and so far, these past couple of days, it has solved the issue. Just thought I'd add that conclusion to the thread but also wanted to see how your solution was coming along.
                      Yes, but I'm quite certain you werent trying to power the xmas lites @ Central Park with yours.:p

Comment

I ended up cleaning the connections on the main fuse box, and I bought 25+ fuses from Pickapart, but have not needed them at all! It just will not blow now with the clean connections! EVEN WITH the all the fog/driving lights! :p

Comment

Working...
                        X