Battery causing no crank issue....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery causing no crank issue....

So yesterday i messed with the car all day. Got alot of things done on it then i go to start it and starter just clicks and thats it. I used my power probe and checked battery voltage and battery had 12.4v. I found that when i turned the ignition to the on or start position my power probe would just shut down even while it was still hooked to the battery but as soon as the ignition was turned back to the off position power probe would turn back on and have 12.4v. It was weird and had me very frustrated and last night i actually posted the car for sale on here. But today i got it all figured out and through the battery from my truck and there and havent had the problem anymore. Has anyone had this happen before? By the way if anyone is in the Columbus, Ohio area there is a 1992 Festiva L at Pick n Pull on Groveport Road. I got a whole bunch of parts off that car today.

It could be a bad connection at the battery terminal.. or I've even seen batteries with a poor internal connection as well.

Try load testing the old battery and see if the voltage drops out like that.

Comment

I checked the connection at the battery terminals multiple times and even took them off and put them back on, still sometimes it would start and other times i would just get the click. Since ive put the battery from my truck in i havent had an issue. Im thinking it had to be something internal in the battery. Ive worked at a dealership for the passed 7 years and just have never experienced it so i was curious if anyone else has.

Comment

More and more name brand batteries made in china. Not what we are accustomed to. Even rebuilt starters and alternators from china, with a
        core charge, freight has got to be a killer without government subsidy.
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

It was an autocraft battery or something i think...i dont know its sitting in my garage. I took my battery out of my truck its 700CCA the festy fires right up lol.

Comment

I use the miata gel battery with a new mount. Trouble free and tiny !
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

7 years in a dealership and never seen an internaly shorted battery!? wow. yeah, the battery will show (lower than normal) voltage with a DVOM, but as soon as you put a load on it, the voltage can drop below 4vDC. i see it all the time. check for excessive AC at the battery with the car at about 2k rpm. shouldn't show any more than 0.100 vAC. if it is, rebuild/replace the alt.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                7 years in a dealership and never seen an internaly shorted battery!? wow. yeah, the battery will show (lower than normal) voltage with a DVOM, but as soon as you put a load on it, the voltage can drop below 4vDC. i see it all the time. check for excessive AC at the battery with the car at about 2k rpm. shouldn't show any more than 0.100 vAC. if it is, rebuild/replace the alt.
                Nope ive never seen one but then again if someone complains about a slow/hard crank i just do a quick battery check and if it has low CCA i replace it. Kia has a hell of a warranty on the battery. When i checked the 12v wire to the ignition switch it had 12.4v with ignition off and once turning ignition on it went to 1.5v.

Comment

Working...
                X