Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

91 Festiva manual comes out of 3rd on long uphill stretches...? And bad gas mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 Festiva manual comes out of 3rd on long uphill stretches...? And bad gas mileage?

Hello all,

Shortly after having my Festiva realigned (to repair front-end collision damage that's existed since I purchased it, and to keep the axle from popping out of the tranny, which had become more and more of a problem) I took it on a trip and had some problems with long, steep grades uphill on the freeway...it kept forcing itself out of third gear, even when I was pushing on the shift knob to keep it in.

After this incident, I haven't taken it up any long uphill climbs and it hasn't happened again on short but very steep uphill climbs. What could have caused this? I am planning a long trip this Christmas but will have to cross some mountainous areas...and I'm concerned this will happen again.

Also, I've been keeping track and the Festy's been giving me only about 25 mpg at best...I know the power steering pump isn't working right but would this cause me to get such bad mileage?

Thank you ALL!

I could be totally wrong here and i probably am, but I am gonna suggest a new clutch???

ADMIN @ http://ironjuggernauts.com/forum.php?referrerid=1

Comment

Nothing is more annoying than a trans that pops out of gear. Sometimes it is caused by a worn motor/trans mount. Sometimes that particular gear is worn from high miles or abuse. I would try it on a long hill. You can also skip that gear when shifting.

Comment

X2 on mounts. Or possibly worn shifter bushings on the stationary rod.
        Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
        93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
        91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
        93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
        15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
        88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Trans will need more than the ebay overhaul kit, consider a "yard" supplied trans and all the goodies you might want to replace while they are out.
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
          X