Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clunk noise from passenger front after brake change

Hey guys...
    I replaced the front brakes on my festy and now the front passenger side wheel will "clunk" when I steer at low speed. It will not clunk when stationary, if I turn the wheel. It does it at the same spot when I turn the wheel. If I go steer back and forth over the "clunk area" on the steering wheel it will do it every time (hard to explain). I looked at my work and everything seems to be tight and OK. When the car is sitting and I steer by hand at the wheel, I cannot hear/feel anything.
    I used a gear puller today for hub/rotor removal and maybe it trashed the passenger half shaft?
    I did not touch the ball joint or tie rods. I only took off the hub, packed more grease into the bearings (they didn't look bad) and torqued it to 150lbs and re assembled everything. I am assuming this would not happen due to bearings getting trashed.
    The brakes work like a charm though
    Last edited by hamburglar; 12-15-2011, 10:25 PM.
    Proud owner of Casper

I had this happen the other day also, just chocked it up to a 22year old car. Be nice if there is a answer!
    Mike
    Mike Holmgren
    Thief Rvr Fls, MN
    1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
    "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

clunks in steer/suspension scare me
      It wasn't doing it before, so I know it is something I did lol
      Proud owner of Casper

Comment

I also had done the front brakes, but I only did the drivers side at the time. (scold me if you want but I ran out of time in the shop I was using) Noise did come from Pass. side though. Thinking really hard I think it has happened a few times in the past, but I can barely remember what I had for breakfast so.... lol
        Mike
        Mike Holmgren
        Thief Rvr Fls, MN
        "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

check wheel torque... had one of those for a little bit...then my wheel fell off
          I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

go back over all the nuts and bolts on that side, the shock from removing the hub could have loosened something you're not aware of. also check your lug bolt torque.

beat me to it fastiva...
            Last edited by FestYboy; 12-15-2011, 10:42 PM.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Oof, that musta been a ride of a lifetime. That does sound plausible though. Thanks,
              Mike

Edit: woops posted the answer to my question before I asked.
              Mike Holmgren
              Thief Rvr Fls, MN

Comment

I know the wheel bolts (sounds weird) are on tight. I took them off and on again. Then I also forgot a washer for the axle nut on that side. I put the washer back on and it is still doing it. I thought for sure that it was the problem.
                Proud owner of Casper

Comment

Grab the wheel at 9 and 3 then at 12 and 6 and see if there is any play at all by moving it back and forth. Also jack the wheel up by the control arm and use a bar under the tire and check ball joint play. Also see if you have any sway bar play on the mount bushings as well as the arm bushings.

Comment

Did the noise come after the brakes or after the bearings or were both done at the same time? Not clear.

I've used a 3-prong puller to separate the hubs from the rotors and can't imagine it causing a problem. However, pressing them back together again is a more likely to be problem prone. Care to describe how that was done?
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

dumb question: did you remember the compression ring for inbetween the bearings?
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The brake pad hold down springs were put back on too weren't they? Just wondering because I didn't reinstall them once (or twice :facepalm: ) and they tend to let the brakes chatter & clunk alot if the pads are sorta loose in the caliper. Might even check the inner tie rod, maybe it developed some in and out play when you were pulling on the knuckle?!
                        Last edited by zoom zoom; 12-16-2011, 08:57 PM.
                        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

The correct answer was out tie rod ends
                          All I did was separate the hub from the knuckle and torqued back together with the specs in my shop manual after the rotor change. The only thing I could think of was not seating the bearings correctly. But I did put a ton o'grease in them and they were getting dry.

The tie rod took a crap when the hub popped off I guess....
                          Thanks for the replies
                          Proud owner of Casper

Comment

"I did not touch the ball joints or tie rods" False information is just not fair.
                            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                            X