Drivers door wont open :O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers door wont open :O

Alright so, I got done with work tonight went to start the car due to the 9 degree temp, put my key in the lock on the door, while unlocking the door I noticed the key felt different. I sat in, started the car, got up, went to close the door, and it flew back open. I repeated this a few times, I guess I thought it would fix it lol, then figured hey I'll try locking the door. I then proceeded to close the door, and it stayed shut. Put my key in the door and it wouldn't unlock. opened the hatch tried to unlock it and it popped back down. BTW a 6'6" 300lb guy getting in the passenger door of a 1989 Ford Festiva to drive the car is pretty interesting. So I ask any ideas as to what happened? I'll look at it in the morning but wanted to run it by you guys.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike Holmgren
    Thief Rvr Fls, MN
    1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
    "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

I wouldn't force it my passenger door did that when it dropped into the freezing area. All I could do was wait. Then it shut just fine. Brakeclean might help if you spray the latch.
    NTRCOOL

1993 Ford Festiva GL
    1990 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix x2
    1989 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix
    1990 Cadillac Fleet-wood Brougham
    1987 Buick LeSabere T-Type
    1980 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency coupe
    1977 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Aeroback coupe

Comment

There is a spring-loaded catch in the mechanism. It can freeze or seize. One way you can't close the door, the other way you can't open it. If worse comes to worse (ie penetrating oil or brake clean doesn't free the mechanism) you'll have to remove the window crank, arm rest and pop off the door panel to start digging around inside, with the window all the way up. Everything in there is operated by wires and connected or held in place by metal and plastic clips. The mechanism itself is secured by 3 screws through the side of the door.

Best of luck. These things always fail at the least opportune time and/or weather.

Comment

X2
        The same thing happened to be after a bike ride one night. I had to climb in through the hatch because my pass door was also broken at the time. The. Take the driver door apart when I got home and free up the mechanism. I lubed it up really good after I freed it and it hasn't happened again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can buy lock antifreeze. It comes in a little aerosol can. Spray it in the keyhole. One trick is to heat the key with a lighter. Another is to warm the lock with a hair dryer.
          Last edited by WmWatt; 12-16-2011, 06:30 PM.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

It ended up freeing itself over night. I just was wondering if chances were I had to buy parts. One day I'll take the door apart and replace all the clips, they are all gunna break sooner or later. lol.
            Thanks for the help,
            Mike
            Mike Holmgren
            Thief Rvr Fls, MN
            1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
            "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

The plastic clips rarely break since their only function is to keep metal connections in place and there is little force on them even when you have to pull or push hard. However, like many of us idiots, keeping boxes of all kinds of spare parts does come in handy. And the plastic clips do break once in awhile while you're undoing or putting them on.

Comment

Working...
              X