unusual tick/knock, vid inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unusual tick/knock, vid inside

Oook, so I got this thing back together, I ended up doing the water pump, timing belt, spark plugs, wires, AND a starter.. It's running good, but today it started this annoying knock/tick noise, I don't know if it's the lifters or if it's the valves? it sounded fine until yesterday on my way to work after 60-70 miles of driving after getting it running again..

the noise is definately concentrated on the belt side of the engine, I don't know if maybe it's something with one of the pulleys? It seems to do it in time with rpm's, but it's sorta intermittent too?

Someone said it could be an air leak somewhere, but when the car is moving it doesn't skip a beat, I mean it even picks up a little better than before the water pump went out. I was thinking it may be a piece of the old ceramic seal bouncing off the water pump prop? I thought I got all those chunks out tho, ..?
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

ummm....I would not run that for to long like that. It sounds similar to my engine before I replaced the lifters. If you messed with any of that under the valve cover it could be a rocker arm out of position or out of adjustment...I have not ripped apart the dual cam rockers yet but I know they can be a pain to line up on the B3. Pull the valve cover and check it.....you can also hook things back up and start it to see what is happening. But watch for flying oil.....lol

also...moved to the help section.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Thanks man, I'm not gonna lie, it could be something to do with the timing belt being installed wrong. I KNOW 100% sure the cams were dead on, but the crankshaft sprocket might be a tooth off or something? I thought (which seems to be THE problem these days) it was right, but it may be a tooth too far clockwise? I twisted the crankshaft 10+ times checking to make sure the cams were still lined up, and didn't feel any "resistance" like the book says, but who knows.. I'm gonna see what I can do about waking up early and tearing it back apart to look again.

..I didn't do anything to anything inside the VC while it was apart, just rotating the sprockets to get the timing belt on/off..
      Last edited by zoom zoom; 12-17-2011, 01:22 AM.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Also, the valve stem seals are known for leaking bad on these engines, this car blows out white smoke for a minute until the oil burns off the top of the pistons. Could a seal have completely failed and cause this?
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
          Also, the valve stem seals are known for leaking bad on these engines, this car blows out white smoke for a minute until the oil burns off the top of the pistons. Could a seal have completely failed and cause this?
          don't think a seal could make that noise......like I said, I am not experienced with the dual cam set up ,YET, but it sounds like it could be what you mentioned with one being a tooth off...would mess up all the timing of when things should be opening and closing....
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I have no idea what that nosie is.

Its so hard to tell.It sounds metalic sometimes but then there is dull puck puck puck. I would pull the valve cover & visually ceheck for a collapsed lifter first. You will see it right away. Are you sure you torqued everything down tight?
            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I didn't have time to pull the valve cover, had emergency surgery to do on my dryer this morning >.< but I went out and did a few things.

1) pull #1 plug wire
              2) pull #2 plug wire
              3) swap #1 & #2 wires
              4) remove a/c belt
              5) checked oil level, it's within a 1/4" of full mark

none of this had any effect on the noise.

I think that the hissing sound is the alternator pulley, the sound is louder back there by it, but I still don't know what the knock is. Loosening the alt belt would probably help that right..it may be too tight.

Uploading a couple videos now because every time I listen to it I hear something different too.

that's the only one I can get to load right now, I think my computer needs cleaned again.
              Last edited by zoom zoom; 12-17-2011, 12:13 PM.
              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Cam tensioner tight? Vibration damper worn out ?
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

My fiance uploaded the vid for me <3 for your viewing pleasure..

@movin, the tensioner is definately tight, it was stretched as far as it would go with the old timing belt, and when I installed the new one it didn't move more than 1/4" after I released it to tighten the belt up. It's within the spec the haynes manual calls for when you push down on it.

The vibration dampener is the crankshaft pulley for the alt&a/c belts I think, right? I noticed it had some rubber in it while it was off, it seemed fine to me, suprisingly enough the rubber (on the outside) wasn't even dryrotted or flaking at all from what I could see.

I'm at a loss, every comment is appreciated, I've been looking for info on mazda626.net, and I've got a few ideas, but most were ruled out this morning. For the most part the guys over there just find new motors when they hear a tick or knock. I'm hoping this is just something I did or didn't do wrong, so I'll pull the valve cover & check the lifters then pull all the belts back off and make sure everything is torqued down good as soon as I get a chance.
                  Last edited by zoom zoom; 12-17-2011, 01:24 PM.
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

time to invest in a stethiscope to pinpoint the noise.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I did just that, bought a stethascope. Today I went and listened, the noise is slightly audible all over the engine, but it's very clear when I touch the water pump. It will have to wait another week, I want to get the valve stem seals and fix it all at the same time + I broke my last scissor jack (that I care to use) last week, so I don't even have a way to jack a vehicle up right now. The van's jack is a backup and I don't want to use it unless absolutely necessary. It's a shame really, I've got 2 hydraulic jacks broken about 5-6 years old, and 2 scissor jacks broke in the last 3 months. Time for a good one I guess.
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Working...
                      X