Radiator leaking at top seam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator leaking at top seam

Today after driving my '89 atx Festy I noticed a small coolant leak (thought I had it cured) below the front bumper. Not a lake or pond, more like a puddle.

When I got home I investigated and found coolant around the top radiator crimp seem. I had previously changed the top radiator hose clamp to a worm gear style vs. the stock squeeze clamp thinking that was where the leak was coming from. Guess I was wrong.

So the question I'm posing is;

Has anyone here actually used the Spectra Premium brand CU263 radiator in a Festiva?

The reason I ask is I bought a new, unopened radiator from a member here a while back (not a Spectrum brand) for a different project.

While is has a molded area in the lower left of the bottom tank for a radiator switch, it is simply blanked off. No visible plug to remove, just blank.

Judging from this picture;

It appears the Spectra radiator has a removable plug where the switch would screw in.

I'm simply wanting to be sure that,

A) It has a removable plug

B) It is the same size and thread as the radiator switch.

I've bought Spectrum radiators and fuel tanks in the past so I trust the quality. I just don't know if this is going to be a (some adapting or modifying may be required) type of deals. I really don't want to be trying to rethead the plastic tank for the switch.

Thanks.

Is "the switch" and "Radiator fan switch" one and the same? The radiator fan switch is under the upper radiator hose on the engine. If you have another switch with the same threads perhaps tapping the aluminum thermostat housing would be easier than the radiator tank. A coupling with bung after cutting upper or lower hose depending on temperature needs would be a simple install.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
      Is "the switch" and "Radiator fan switch" one and the same? The radiator fan switch is under the upper radiator hose on the engine. If you have another switch with the same threads perhaps tapping the aluminum thermostat housing would be easier than the radiator tank. A coupling with bung after cutting upper or lower hose depending on temperature needs would be a simple install.
      No, they are not the same. The switch I'm referring to is unique to the '88-'89 Festivas. Though it does fit other vehicles.

According to this;(post #10)

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

It's called a "water thermoswitch".

Part of the fuel/air management per post #4 of the same link.

The radiator fan switch has straight threads with a "O" ring seal and a flat spade connection.

The water thermoswitch has tapered threads that I assume are NPT and 2 male bullet connections. (Looks to be maybe 3/8" NPT, possibly 1/2" NPT. Don't know for sure until removal of radiator and switch.)

Non of this really makes any difference into my querry about IF the Spectra radiator has the correct opening at the bottom left corner.

Other than the possibility of coming up with an alternative plan for mounting the switch.

Comment

I was thinking of later years, I would not go without that switch. I can't tell about that radiator if it does or not. If not, a piece of pipe with the npt thread clamped into the lower hose would work. Just getting the right part is the way to go though.

Comment

Well I emailed Spectra last night. No answer as of yet.

If it comes down to fabbing something, the pipe with NPT bung sounds like a decent way to go. May have to extend the wires to reach.

Comment

OK. I got a response from Spectra.

Copy and paste quote from email;

"Please look at the picture attached; the plug under the tank is M12X 1.25. The plug on the side has a thread of 5/8X18 UNF and the thermo switch seal with an o’ring."

Now I'm no machinest by any means but the water thermoswitch in this link;

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=937128

Sure as heck looks like NPT to me.

Does anyone know for sure what the thread and size is??

EDIT;

I just sent an email to Wells for the info on the thread and size. But if anyone has a definite answer don't hesitate to post it.

Thanks.
            Last edited by lessersivad; 12-20-2011, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Same as mine, and you are right, as pictured it will not seal as intended. Quite possible someone made a mistake posting that picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                Same as mine, and you are right, as pictured it will not seal as intended. Quite possible someone made a mistake posting that picture.
                Same as your what? Radiator mounted thermoswitch? Thread of radiator switch?

Comment

is the leak on the plastic or aluminum section.?

ADMIN @ http://ironjuggernauts.com/forum.php?referrerid=1

Comment

Right on the crimp as far as I could tell. I'll look at it a bit more in depth this weekend probably.

I really don't want the top of the radiator blowing off going down the road....LOL.

Comment

oh, cuz you can fix a hole in the fins with jb weld

ADMIN @ http://ironjuggernauts.com/forum.php?referrerid=1

Comment

This is becoming a royal PITA.

1st I get the emai lfrom Spectra stating the that the thermswitch opening is 5/8" x 18 thread and the switch seals with an "O" ring.

Today I get an email from Wells and the spec sheet they send states the threads are 3/8" x 18 npt.

I know that 3/8" npt is larger than 3/8 so I check for the specs of the pipe thread.

According to this:

3/8" npt has an 18 tpi. Great. Problem is the nominal size is .675" where as 5/8" is .625".

I know it's only .05" but I'm not too thrilled about a tapered thread going into a non tapered plastic tank.

If anyone knows for sure about the subject. Please chime in.

Comment

Working...
                        X