Rocker panel repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker panel repair?

I looked around real quick, I didn't see a whole lot on the subject. I went and looked at a festy yesterday, build date of 1990 - not sure which model. My main concern were the rocker panels seemed to be pretty rusted out, and without pulling it out I can't inspect the floors. I only got a brief look at it. Not sure if it will be worth my time, but figured I'd ask here.

The doors & floor aren't really a concern to me, but the rockers are - what have you guys done to fix them? Welding isn't an issue for me - would I be looking at cutting some from a junkyard car, and welding them in? or would sheet metal work? What are your fixes?

Thanks
    -Rocket
    1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
    High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
    Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

interested, i have this problem too
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

well in junk hard around here its hard to find good panels so I just used my race car to make fiberglass molds with matte and resin but sheet metal would be the right way I just don't have a welder that will weld sheet metal , I would start at the pinch weld clamp it and then bend it around to weld, the good thing is that you can get to the inside to undercoat the back side for future rust prevention... but cutting good panels from another car would be easiest.

Comment

I've seen many rust-free festys in Harry's hazleton for some reason, but cutting rockers out would be a problem. I'd need a battery powered sawzall
        1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
        High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
        Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

sawsall isn't the issue, it's welding the 4 layers back in place to maintain structural rigidity. if you want picks of what the inside/cross section looks like, i have some from my strip party.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Easiest- bondo+fiberglass
            Easy- cut off donor car, tack weld, bondo
            harder- grind, cut, tack weld new sheet metal, and bondo
            hardest- Cut, bend, weld, and bondo all layers in place.

1st 2 options will suffice if paired with some other cross-bracing of the unibody. (Cage, anyone?)
            1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
            Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
            daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
            A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Originally posted by Basement_Modder View Post
              Easiest- bondo+fiberglass
              Easy- cut off donor car, tack weld, bondo
              harder- grind, cut, tack weld new sheet metal, and bondo
              hardest- Cut, bend, weld, and bondo all layers in place.

1st 2 options will suffice if paired with some other cross-bracing of the unibody. (Cage, anyone?)
              Having done both your first two options, I would definitely say you have the two reversed
              89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
              RIP 90LX

Comment

yeah.... no.

you forget the rocker is STRUCTURAL. it must be welded in and ALL of the rot removed/replaced with new metal for things to be right again.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  sawsall isn't the issue, it's welding the 4 layers back in place to maintain structural rigidity. if you want picks of what the inside/cross section looks like, i have some from my strip party.
                  Yes totally structural.There is way more going on inside the rockers than what appears. In order to do them correctly its a VERY busy job. I was really surprised to see the metal channels that are inside them. I just figured they where hollow rockers. Then I got educated.
                  Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                  Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                  Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                  X