Washer Fluid Won't Spray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washer Fluid Won't Spray

I just picked up a Festiva last week and on the way home noticed that in addition to some less-than-efficient wiper blades, I also had no washer fluid when I needed it.

There is fluid in the reservoir.
    All other functions of the "wiper stalk" work, as in down and forward for the wiper functions...
    With the EXCEPTION that when pulled rearward for the spray the wipers don't move as expected, and no fluid pump noise can be heard.

I'm thinking that the pump motor might be toast, but the fact that the wipers don't move concerns me.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!

the wipers wont move if it's a stock festiva. it sounds like the internal switch has failed: time to upgrade to intermitant wipers (with auto wipe durring the wash function). it takes about 15min and 3 screws to swap the parts out (you'll want a very small screwdriver to do it)
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
      the wipers wont move if it's a stock festiva. it sounds like the internal switch has failed: time to upgrade to intermitant wipers (with auto wipe durring the wash function). it takes about 15min and 3 screws to swap the parts out (you'll want a very small screwdriver to do it)
      I've heard that the int switch from a fourth or fifth gen (93-02) mazda 626 will swap, do you know if that's right or not? The steering wheel is supposed to be about the same too. I've heard of people having issues with wiring (on other cars) where it's a positive trigger instead of a negative and I don't want to have to mess with all that.
      Last edited by zoom zoom; 12-20-2011, 02:26 PM.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

you'll want to hunt down the 3rd-4th gen (pre 96) proteges and 626s for the right hardware. at most, you have to move one pin. i havn't experianced any of that though and i've swapped several units so far.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Have you tested to see if you have power down at the pump? Maybe it's just the pump that's bad?
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

The washer pump is on the fluid bottle by the bumper and inside the drivers side fender and behind a removable plastic inner fender. I have replaced too many of these. Sometimes it is a frayed or bad wire or hasty crimp connection from up above but most times it is the pump itself. They're cheap enough and common but lots of work to get at/replace the first time around.

Comment

I haven't had the chance to look into it with any real effort, just no time as of late. I was just hoping to hear an "Oh that's so common, and it's such an easy fix..." Oh well, there has to be some work behind the glamour of owning a Festiva.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                you'll want to hunt down the 3rd-4th gen (pre 96) proteges and 626s for the right hardware. at most, you have to move one pin. i havn't experianced any of that though and i've swapped several units so far.
                pre 91 on the 626 or the stalk is different. Plug and play on 90-93. I believe there is a wire issue in the 88-89 cars....but I forget for sure.

Never heard of moving the pins.
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Possible "easy fix" is to spray switch and connections with WD-40.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

A forewarning if the pump is bad and you go to to Autozone to get one, order for a automatic instead of a manual even if you have a 5 spd... don't know the deal there but I had to wait 3 days to get mine that I order for a manual and it was wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                      pre 91 on the 626 or the stalk is different. Plug and play on 90-93. I believe there is a wire issue in the 88-89 cars....but I forget for sure.

Never heard of moving the pins.
                      i had a conversion on a 91 that required moving a pin but i was using a base model 88 unit, so that's probably why.

Comment

My parts source distinguishes between auto and manual Festys for washer pumps but I have both types or cars and never found there to be any difference. Get both and return the one that doesn't fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                          My parts source distinguishes between auto and manual Festys for washer pumps but I have both types or cars and never found there to be any difference. Get both and return the one that doesn't fit.
                          The 88 and 89 carbies have a different washer fluid reservoir, mounted on the passenger side. That went away in 1990 with the EFI cars because that space was needed for the VAF/air filter components. I would guess that the 89 EFI cars use the later one.

The auto/manual distinction your parts source has may be because of the 89 model year, which would only apply for that year, since autos were EFI and manuals were carby. For other years this would be irelevent, and is just a mistake.
                          Last edited by TominMO; 12-22-2011, 02:10 PM.
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Good info. Thanks Tom! ...and everybody else for that matter!

Comment

Working...
                            X