Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Four months of fun, this might be the end.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four months of fun, this might be the end.

A few of you might remember me from my few novice posts trying to resurrect a 1990 L-Plus Auto.

Since I've started, I've done the following:

Replaced tank with used
    Cap, rotor, plug, wires
    Wheel bearings x 2 (front-right twice now.. more on this later)
    Both rear hubs
    Oil change, half of a tune-up
    New tires
    $439.39 front end work, including:
    Both ball joints
    Tie rod ends
    FR CV axle
    somethings else I just don't remember
    New o2 sensor

Now after all this, plus $250 for the car and about $1300 invested so far..

Heard a droning noise once again, took to our mechanic..

Back-left wheel bearing scored nearly away (can't torque properly because someone put in a cotter pin [or whatever the 93s had on them, I can't remember the exact terminology] at some point, at an odd angle), front-right drones at transmission side, to what he can tell (without taking the whole side apart again).

One of the rear hubs is already stripped again, needs a front-right.

What do I do now?

I know this is probably in the wrong section, but I wasn't sure where to put it.

I'm out of money, working minimum-wage, trying to keep our heads above water.

He says sell it and find something else. The problem is, I truly don't want to sell it, and don't know if I could get the money I've put into it back out of it. It rides nicely down the road, aside from the noise.. has brake issues I was planning on fixing later (master cyl.), and I just plain love the car.

What do I do?

~Spike
    Last edited by Spike; 12-21-2011, 06:27 PM. Reason: Other repairs I forgot.
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

If you need brake parts FMS is having a sale!

I'm sure someone else will be able to help you out with your bearing issue
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

That's a darn good deal on the Master..

~Spike
      1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Drive it till it falls down in the road or you have enough money to fix it again. It may be a long time before it dies on you.
        89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
        92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
        New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

The rear bearings are separate parts and should have a retainer nut that is staked with a round edge chisel. There are procedures to follow to adjust this retainer nut properly.The front bearings are a little different, the retainer nut is on the end of the cv and is torqued to 145 ft lbs and staked...BUT there is a little precision spacer between the bearings that adjusts them..another procedure. Someone familiar with these cars needs to do this, not just the cheapest mechanic out there. These are really good cars but not if your mechanic fixes them like any other import. They can be one of the most cost effective cars available!
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

droning noise is probably the wheel bearing. Are you doing them yourself or is someone else doing them? Did the spacers get reused that were in there? replace the rear spindle with a good one....if you don't care I don't think it matters if it is for that side or not. You will just have to remember how it is for nut removal in the future. Use a stake nut instead of the castle nut on the rear and tighten properly then stake it down. As far as the front bearings go....sometimes it is just easier to replace the hub with a known good one.

There are bunch of people in your state....maybe someone can lend a hand in fixing the vehicle properly.
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Get a junkyard front hub and rear spindle. Send the old ones to a knowledgeable site member for rebuilding.

Comment

The mechanic we use has worked on several of these in the past, and has kept them running well, to what I know.

I'm not doing them myself as I don't have a garage, necessary tools, ect.

Plus, I have nearly zilch in mechanical experience. The only Festivas I can find locally are at Auto Heaven in Bloomington, and these people.. they treat their parts like gold. When I wanted those original rear hubs, they wanted $75/ea, and I ended up getting them from the Festiva in PullaPart Indy at $20 for the pair (which is now crushed, or so their website leads me to believe), and that has been the only fair deal I've found on parts since..

I'm just at wit's end lately..

I swear, for 6 years in a row.. things always happen around two central points:

Birthdays (June)
                Christmas

It's just been a constant thing. I'd laugh about it if I could.

~Spike
                1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

I'd be happy to help out. I've got tools and space and am pretty close.
                  There is a festiva in the louisville pull a part (about the same distance away as indy). I believe it had the suspension components (not 100% I just checked for the quick goodies) But the engine was gone and I can't remember what was still there.

Anyway, I'd be happy to help out if need be!
                  Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                  The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Awesome Charlie.....there you go....help is just an asking distance away.
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    I will sleep when I die!
                    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

If it can hold out for nicer weather Charlie and I could make an adventure of it, or you can scrape up a little cash to cover my shops greedy needs to get it in the door. I would be happy to help get your car in tip top shape. I work in Greenwood, I've help Charlie a few times if you need references. I also have an extra set of complete from hubs, I'm sure the bearings could use replaced, but I drove on them for a couple months before doing the aspire swap. I would practically give them away.
                      Last edited by gauge_half_inch; 12-21-2011, 07:33 PM.
                      Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                      93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                      91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                      93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                      15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                      88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

yup.....knew you were in the right place for help...lol
                        89L Silver EFI auto
                        91GL Green Auto DD
                        I will sleep when I die!

Comment

I thank you so much for your offer, Charlie. If I find enough for the parts later down the road, and can get them, may I contact you on here?

As to Louisville, 2hr 28min away, approx 112mi.

I guess it's not too much further, really.

If I were to go out there, and was lucky enough for it to have what I needed..

How does one remove a spindle?

~Spike
                          1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

4 nuts on the back of the backing plate (14mm).
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thank you both for your offers of assistance!

My mom grew up in Greenwood, and that's not too far away for us. Could you hold the hubs for me? I believe the car can make it, but my mechanic has warned me just tonight about the safety of driving it. I've driven it about 3000 miles since the rear hubs were replaced, and haven't had any MAJOR trouble. Personally, I believe it would make it just fine..

How would we go about coordinating our 'adventure'?

~Spike
                              1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Working...
                              X