Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driver & Passenger side window - tilt forward when rolling up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver & Passenger side window - tilt forward when rolling up?

Both festiva's I have owned have both the same problems with rolling up the windows. When rolling up the windows tilt forward requiring it to be a two handed operation. What do I need to do?

MIchael

well for the moment you can use some lubricant in the track and it should help...for a permanent fix you need to replace the mechanism with either good working ones or new...able to be found pretty regularly.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

actually Willie, i'v found it's just the glass retainers that give out (compress) over time, allowing the glass to tip. also, white lithium grease in the front track does wonders.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Silicone spray! It works wonders. You'll probably have to make several applications, but you'll be amazed. Shoot it down the rear tracks as much as you can. The passenger side window on the '90 I recently bought had to be helped up by hand (there was even a note in the glovebox to the effect that it wasn't broken, it just needed help. It doesn't anymore.

Comment

when the window tilts forward, use your hand and tilt it back, thats what i do...

will try the silicon spray though sounds like a good idea, will it smear onto the window?
          91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
          06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
          95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Silicone spray seems to leave no residue. It's great!

Comment

Other than a little odor shortly after application, you won't even notice that you sprayed the tracks... other than your windows will roll up without any mishap. Mine had the same problem; I rolled the windows down, sprayed both front and rear tracks, rolled up and down a few times and sprayed once more for good measure. No problem since.

Comment

Festyboy's right it's the retainers.
                Just need to find a way to snug them up/take-up the slack and they will work fine.
                As a temp measure the lithium/silicon spray will work, but it's not the solution.
                Kind of like treating a symptom instead of the cause of a problem.
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                X