Head bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head bolts

Should I get new head bolts or are the old ones reusable?
    NTRCOOL

1993 Ford Festiva GL
    1990 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix x2
    1989 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix
    1990 Cadillac Fleet-wood Brougham
    1987 Buick LeSabere T-Type
    1980 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency coupe
    1977 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Aeroback coupe

reuse them after a good cleaning and a LIGHT coating of oil.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

And run a tap down each head bolt hole to clean the threads so you get a good correct torque.
      You gonna race that thing?
      http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Originally posted by NTRCOOL View Post
        Should I get new head bolts or are the old ones reusable?
        Measure them! If they are within specs, use them. If they are too long throw them away.
        Oscar

Comment

What is the spec length? the reason I'm asking because when I pulled the head after I seen a major amount of steam coming between the head and the block, there was burn marks between each cylinder but the outside seemed fine. I am also worried that the head also might be warpped.
          NTRCOOL

1993 Ford Festiva GL
          1990 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix x2
          1989 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix
          1990 Cadillac Fleet-wood Brougham
          1987 Buick LeSabere T-Type
          1980 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency coupe
          1977 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Aeroback coupe

Comment

Originally posted by NTRCOOL View Post
            What is the spec length? ... I am also worried that the head also might be warpped.
            I just looked in the manual and couldn't find the head bolt length. You can probably go to your local dealer or auto parts store and measure a new head bolt.

Your head is warped. Have it machined before you put everything back together or you will be doing it all over again.
            Oscar

Comment

there is no head bolt length spec.... that's for TTY bolts, which we don't have.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                there is no head bolt length spec.... that's for TTY bolts, which we don't have.
                There has to be a design length for those bolts. If the stock bolts have been stretched too much they are useless and he should be replacing them.
                Oscar

Comment

Use your micrometer eye..
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

i just put em all side by side and if they are all the same reuse them. there is little chance they all stretched equally.
                    I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

"Trust but verify". I, for one, would like to know where it is officially written that the factory festy head bolts are not "TTY", torque to yield.

Comment

In the haynes manual for one. The second clue columbo, is the tightening sequence.
                        If you've ever had experience with tty bolts, you'd know that there's more than three steps involved and at least one of those steps involves degrees or angle, not foot pounds.
                        New bolts are not that expensive by the way, if you did want to go with that. That is, if you don't go ARP.
                        I will give you a litte bit of advice from my experience. After you have re-placed the festy/aspire/b3/b6 head, heat cycle the engine a few times, figure a few trips totaling a couple hundred miles. Pull the valve cover back off, and do a re-torque. Don' be surprized to see some of the bolts might need it! good luck.
                        97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                        CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                        Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

I kinda thought the car companies used TTY head bolts because when they tighten them down at the factory they are like rubbery or elastic so that they keep pulling down on the head after any initial shifting around takes place, taking up any differences that might occur after the new car is driven. That way all the customers don't have to take their cars back to the dealer to have the heads re-torked. TTY bolts, I think, lose that feature after they are used once and probably don't respond the same way to the tork specs. ARP bolts are made different and can be re-used, but should be re-toked after a few heat cycles. Anyway, how's that sound?

Comment

Sounds like you kinda thought
                            Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
                              ARP bolts are made different and can be re-used, but should be re-toked after a few heat cycles. Anyway, how's that sound?
                              I always like "Re-Toking" after my heat cycle. Or should I saaaayyy my "Bake" cycle.
                              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                              X