shifter falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shifter falls

How do I make my shifter where it will not fall threw the floor I though about self tapping screws but there's got to be something more professional
    89 festiva all of a mighty 1.3 Tha Black Bullet and good ole casper got casper when I was 15 and loved em ever since

Drill a hole a bolt it up.
    Ford Fester

Comment

Use the search bar, I know there are multiple threads on this
      :cry_smile: RIP. 91 Ford festiva BP swap

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Comment

mine droped 9 months ago put 1 self tap screw in has held fine .quick and nobody sees it, covered by shifter boot

Comment

Thank I found a thread and i am gunna fabricate up a short throw thansk for the help
          89 festiva all of a mighty 1.3 Tha Black Bullet and good ole casper got casper when I was 15 and loved em ever since

Comment

Here's a link to Nate's write up of a shifter swap, but I thought he had also done a tutorial on where to drill and put a bolt and nut to keep the shifter plate from falling. However, look at the pictures he has on this first page and you can see the lower part of his bolt and which solves the problem:

Look at the third picture down. I copied that for my own fix on Aqua. Easy to do and has worked fine! Do not tighten the nut and bolt too much so it can allow the shifter to move freely.

Karl
            Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-02-2012, 05:57 PM.
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Does this happen on Aspires too, or did they address the issue by then?
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I just recently replaced my shifter linkage bushings. Presumably we're talking about the 2 cheesy 'fish-hook' plastic tabs that hold up the shifter within the housing? Luckily mine were still intact. But I can imagine that a better and more positive system (I've read the recent repair posts about this; ie suspended nut and through bolt) is what this query is all about. And now that I think about it everything in that Nov/Dec posting makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by newcomb View Post
                  How do I make my shifter where it will not fall threw the floor I though about self tapping screws but there's got to be something more professional
                  A large Nylon zip tie works fine. All it does is hold the shifter at your desired height.

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                  Does this happen on Aspires too, or did they address the issue by then?
                  Same -
                  Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                  Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                  Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                    I just recently replaced my shifter linkage bushings. Presumably we're talking about the 2 cheesy 'fish-hook' plastic tabs that hold up the shifter within the housing? Luckily mine were still intact. But I can imagine that a better and more positive system (I've read the recent repair posts about this; ie suspended nut and through bolt) is what this query is all about. And now that I think about it everything in that Nov/Dec posting makes sense.
                    Its not the hooks that fail.The rubber breaks away-
                    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Yep. And those hooks shouldn't be holding any weight at all, there are four studs with nuts on them that hold the whole assembly to the bottom side of the tunnel. Those two hooks are so you can push the plate and socket into place from under the car and have it hold itself there until you get back inside the car to install the nuts on the 4 studs.
                      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Ive reglued to two shifters use using a hi grade glue and they never fell out again. dh

Comment

The way that Nate did it works great. I found a good shifter, and applied his "fix" before it broke. I expect I will never have the problem again....
                          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
                          X