Help! Kia Sportage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Kia Sportage

Sorry if this isn't supposed to go in this subforum I wasn't sure since it is not for a Festiva.

Anyway, as some of you may already know, I picked up a 2001 Kia Sportage for $500 bucks. The downside is it won't start!

What I know:
    Previous owner said it needs a new fuel pump.

What I've checked:
    Replaced all fuses that needed it.

Used the diagnostic thing in the engine bay (jumper to bypass fuel pump relay) the fuel pump made a noise but it sounded kind of whiney.

Cleaned up all the grounds for the fuel pump/ all engine bay grounds

Visually inspected Timing belt. It looked fairly newish.

Does it sound like I need to replace the fuel pump? What else should I be looking for?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

You need to do more checking...Get an aerosol can of carb and choke cleaner and make sure the car is ready to crank. Pull the tube to the throttle body and spray a 5 second burst down the intake. Put the tube back on quickly, no need to tighten, and see if the car will start on the fuel you provided from the can.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Check fuel pressure. Have you made sure the belt didn't jump time, have good spark, compression? Does it sounf normal when cranking? Did you finally get it to your house?
      Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
      93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
      91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
      93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
      15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
      88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Definitely hook up a fuel pressure gauge. If PO had the car diagnosed at a shop, the shop was probably right. Pumps can turn on and be weak. Could be the fuel pressure regulator. Sometimes to check a pump, I disconnect the fuel line right before it gets to the engine and see if fuel gets pumped out. Would suggest a catch can if you do this so you don't dump fuel all over the place.

You check spark and make sure that was good?
        The Festiva Store
        Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

The ^^ above leaves room for errors, you could have water in your tank and pass a fuel pressure test. Keep it simple, cheap and done with what you have, I doubt you have or want to buy a bunch of tools...Spray it and see if it starts and dies, that answers a lot of questions we need to know..

Comment

Spraying can also lead to over pressurizing the cylinders and blowing the rods through the block... I have seen it happen, that's why should use the proper diagnostic tools...
            The Festiva Store
            Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Agreed. If we get done looking at spikes car soon we can take a quick peek at it Friday, see if I can help shine some light on issue, I work much better in person.
              Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
              93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
              91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
              93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
              15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
              88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

either yes carb cleaner, no way, If you have equipment and can get there thats the best..

Comment

My son put a fuel pump in one of those. The pump job was easy. But it wouldn't start. After spending another 10+ hours testing stuff he gave up. But it started the following morning after a few tries. Evil.

Comment

Originally posted by gauge_half_inch View Post
                    Agreed. If we get done looking at spikes car soon we can take a quick peek at it Friday, see if I can help shine some light on issue, I work much better in person.
                    Sweet! It's actually in Anderson at my work so if sometime you wanted to come that would be awesome (we can even work in doors! and I'll compensate you for your travel and time ) Hopefully you could diagnose better than me! So I don't start wasting money :p

I was going to try the starting fluid down the intake but I held off. I only visually checked the timing belt. I ran out of time to work on it but the next time I planned on checking compression, timing, etc.

It does sound normal when trying to start.
                    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Working...
                    X