No Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Start

First time for this one. I was driving my 91 fi stock festy around town today doing some shopping, no problem. After my last stop, out of nowhere, it wouldn't start. It would fire a few times and then quit. I hit it with some starting spray and it would fire right up and run smooth until the spray ran out and then die. Being 25 miles from home, I called a tow truck. After 20 minutes it got there and the driver tried to start it. The damn thing fired right up and ran fine. I kept it running and drove straight home, holding my breath. At home I restarted it about 5 times and it worked fine. Of course I am now leery about driving it anywhere. Any opinions about what's going on here would be greatly appreciated. As far as I know everything in the fuel system is original except for the fuel filter which I changed a few months ago.

fuel pump or fuel pump relay most likely the relay is up above hood popper handle
    easy to change and the pump is under the back seat if you use one and easy to change as well
    93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
    RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
    RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

A tow truck will fix a bad fuel pump every time, for a little while. Tapping the bottom of the tank might work a time or two. Plan on replacing the pump, check connectors for overheating while you are there, anything not pretty fix.. make sure the new pump has the sock, some of these new ones are selling them separate now. Last of all replace the fuel filter, it is probably required for warranty. Clean any debris out of the bottom of the fuel tank. Safety first, no sources of ignition, fumes can collect inside the car on this one, pull the battery neg.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Id check the relay first

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Carry a rubber mallet with you to bang on the tank. Short trips only.

Comment

Also make sure the VAF is plugged in all the way. Also seen the short wiring harness that goes from inside the gas tank to the outside go bad. It caused intermittent starting problems. Would work fine for awhile, and then not work, and then starting working a couple hours later, very hard to diagnose.
            The Festiva Store
            Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Thanks to all...will do.

Comment

This car has a lot of miles [250k] showing on the od, a lot of them put on while it was being towed behind a motorhome, i assume, before i bought it. It had a huge towbar setup bolted to the front bumper. i haven't yet had time to work on it but i have noticed that the ignition switch is worn pretty sloppy. do you think there is a way this could be causing the nostart problem? I have started it 20+ times since the incident with no issues.

Comment

The key and tumbler are linked but not part of the switch.
                  All sorts of things have made a fuel pump not pump fuel
                  and its possible one of them could be there, but by far
                  the fuel pump itself statically will be the problem you describe.

Comment

Fuel pump is my first thought, however, considering Fetsboys magic stick, I would keep the VAF, and the wiring to it in mind as well....
                    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Nothing like an intermittent problem. What fun. I must have started it 40 times without a hitch since the event.

Comment

keep the rubber mallet handy!!

Comment

Working...
                        X