Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my speedometer doesnt work (odometer does)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my speedometer doesnt work (odometer does)...

Fajita (the 95k black GL I just picked up) has a bad speedo. I can hear clicking inside.

I have a spare speedo, but it reads 172k

I've got it apart, but have no clue how to take 77k off it.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Rolling odometers are a little bit illegal so I'm not going to get into that subject....

Comment

That clicking noise may be the upper speedo cable broken and rattling around. OR the cable may not be "pushed" all the way into the back of the speedo gear. Check under the hood and make sure all the speedo cable connections are "pushed close together". (Someone working on the car may have tugged or rubbed against the speedo cable and made the connections spread apart. This happened to my Aspire.)

AND while you're at it... get some speedo gear grease and lube up the speedo cable. DO not squirt WD40 down the cable sleeve... I've heard it's bad for the cable. (may be wrong but I don't suggest it)

Mine used to click and clatter and it all came down to a dry speedo cable within the tubing.
      Last edited by Britstiva; 01-05-2012, 10:22 PM.
      www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
      www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
      Snoopy's
      4621 Atlantic Ave
      Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

Pull out on the reset...
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

No reset, not a tripometer.

Title says odometer exempt and we haven't had inspections since '01. I'm not try to pull wool and don't intend to sell anyway.
          1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
          1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
          1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
          1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
          2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
          2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
          2005 Accord - wife's DD
          2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Then things are gummed up enough the plastic gear is slipping. If you free it up by washing and lubing with a q tip it might work again. Other wise a used cluster and a BIG bribe to JoDan who will donate half to the web site!! to reset the Odo..Otherwise figure out how to pull the spool and input new mileage with slack taken out so its set to go..

If you are in a state or country where this illegal please erase this before reading it..
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

i used dental pick.....
              91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
              06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
              95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Working...
              X