Fuel Tank Over flowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Tank Over flowing

Has anybody ever filled up there festiva with gas and the pump stops so you slowly squeeze the gas pump to get just a lil bit more fuel in the tank, and its all going down into the filler nozzle but fuel just starts pouring out from under the car?

split tank seem, it happens often enough... new tanks are under $150. the other option is the breather hose from the tank to filler neck rotted enough to leak.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Mine does that , then i get the gas smell strong in the car ... but can find no gas leaking inside , so i try not to top it all the way off .

Comment

I am an idiot, I put a used fuel pump assembly on and there was no rubber gasket on the top. Thanks for your thoughts but I am an idiot. LOL

Comment

Lol yeah I was gunna mention the seal lol, I had to replace the entire gas tank because there was a huge hole covered with JB weld
          #57 fester' LX

Comment

Typically it is bad practice to "top off" a tank at the pump. Most modern gas tanks are designed with air pockets at the top to compensate for expansion and pressure. If these pockets are filled with fuel, it can lead to excess pressure and cause the tank to rupture. It can also damage evap canisters, designed to alleviate fumes and reduce hydrocarbon footprint. The charcoal in the canister becomes saturated by the excess fuel and causes it to become permanently damaged possibly leading to future driveabailty issues.

Just an FYI for anyone who cares.
            2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
            1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
            1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

Working...
            X